* Mission Critical Software Development for Avionic Systems
@ 2000-10-24  0:00 cakmakci
From: cakmakci @ 2000-10-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is probably a very general and a wide-scope question, and
it might already be a FAQ, but I am looking for some information or
rather pointers to software development for mission critical avionics
systems.

- I am particularly interested in hearing experience with COTS ROTS
for such applications,

- Development processes especially applicable for such system
software, for instance extra phases you would like to have in
developing such a software system,

 - Concerns for special programming techniques. This is probably a
naive question but would you have multi-threads in such an application?
What about optimization? I suspect compact code will improve the
reliability of such a system.

There are other issues I can not think of now. I will appreciate
any pointers / insight anyone can provide -preferably on the Internet-
about the subject.

Thanks.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: Mission Critical Software Development for Avionic Systems
@ 2000-10-24  0:00 ` Pat Rogers
From: Pat Rogers @ 2000-10-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

You've come to the right place.  This is a domain in which Ada excels.

<cakmakci@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> This is probably a very general and a wide-scope question, and
> it might already be a FAQ, but I am looking for some information or
> rather pointers to software development for mission critical
avionics
> systems.
>
> - I am particularly interested in hearing experience with COTS ROTS
> for such applications,
>
> - Development processes especially applicable for such system
> software, for instance extra phases you would like to have in
> developing such a software system,
>
>  - Concerns for special programming techniques. This is probably a
> naive question but would you have multi-threads in such an
application?
> What about optimization? I suspect compact code will improve the
> reliability of such a system.

Concerning specifically the use of threads in a safety-critical
application, look for info on the "Ravenscar Profile" or products that
"support Ravenscar".  For example, I know Aonix has a product that
does so, and I suspect DDCI offers one as well.  Aonix has a white
paper section on the subject at their web site.  See
www.aonix.com and follow the links to ObjectAda Real-Time Raven
http://anubis.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC22/WG9/HRG-High-Integrity-Ada.txt
http://www.openravenscar.org/OpenRavenscar

Also definitely have a look at the SPARK toolset from Praxis Critical
Systems Limited in the UK.  John Barnes has a book on the subject too:
"High Integrity Ada: The SPARK Approach", published by Addison-Wesley
(my copy is dated 1977 but there is a later version if memory serves).
See http://www.praxis-cs.co.uk/

The Real-Time Systems Group at the University of York has a large
number of papers available on the subject of both real-time and
safety-critical software (including Ravenscar), especially for
avionics apps.  (We have long had a close relationship with British
Aerospace.)  See http://www.cs.york.ac.uk/rts/

Also have a look at the book "Real-Time Systems and Programming
Languages" by Alan Burns and Andy Wellings of the University of York,
published by Addison-Wesley.  (Get the second edition.)  This book
covers a number of topics that I believe concern you, and does so for
a variety of languages.

Hope this helps,

Pat Rogers
RTSG, University of York
progers@classwide.com

From: Pat Rogers @ 2000-10-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

OOPS!

"Pat Rogers" <progers@NOclasswideSPAM.com> wrote in message

<snip>

> Also definitely have a look at the SPARK toolset from Praxis
Critical
> Systems Limited in the UK.  John Barnes has a book on the subject
too:
> "High Integrity Ada: The SPARK Approach", published by
Addison-Wesley
> (my copy is dated 1977 but there is a later version if memory
serves).
> See http://www.praxis-cs.co.uk/

Of course that date should be 1997!  What's 20 years among friends...

* Re: Mission Critical Software Development for Avionic Systems
@ 2000-10-24  0:00   ` r_c_chapman
From: r_c_chapman @ 2000-10-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <w0gJ5.1704$n23.240335@nnrp2.sbc.net>,
  "Pat Rogers" <progers@NOclasswideSPAM.com> wrote:
> Also definitely have a look at the SPARK toolset from Praxis Critical
> Systems Limited in the UK.  John Barnes has a book on the subject too:
> "High Integrity Ada: The SPARK Approach", published by Addison-Wesley
> (my copy is dated 1977 but there is a later version if memory serves).
> See http://www.praxis-cs.co.uk/

Err...1997 I think!  A second printing, including release 5.0
of the Examiner tool is in production now, and should
be in the shops soon.  The first printing is now sold out.
 Rod Chapamn
 SPARK Team
 Praxis Critical Systems
 rod@praxis-cs.co.uk

@ 2000-10-24  0:00 ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2000-10-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

cakmakci@my-deja.com wrote:

> This is probably a very general and a wide-scope question, and
> it might already be a FAQ, but I am looking for some information or
> rather pointers to software development for mission critical avionics
> systems.
>
> - I am particularly interested in hearing experience with COTS ROTS
> for such applications,

Often not used more for procedural reasons than technical. I've often been
in situations developing "avionics" (broad category!) where we had to
deliver source for everything to the government - COTS wouldn't do for this
in some cases. Reuse happens, but not frequently since most avionics stuff
ends up with such specialized hardware that its hard to find something like
COTS or ROTS that will fit the need.

> - Development processes especially applicable for such system
> software, for instance extra phases you would like to have in
> developing such a software system,

Usually you are a *lot* heavier on testing and verification.

>  - Concerns for special programming techniques. This is probably a
> naive question but would you have multi-threads in such an application?
> What about optimization? I suspect compact code will improve the
> reliability of such a system.

Multithreading is done - or at least I've seen it done on lots of projects.
Optimization is not a bad thing if a) you have confidence in the compiler
and b) you are going through proper verification steps. You're talking
about systems that usually have limited processor time and memory space, so
typically you look for all the ways you can of making things faster and
smaller.

> There are other issues I can not think of now. I will appreciate
> any pointers / insight anyone can provide -preferably on the Internet-
> about the subject.

Your questions sound very broad, so its difficult to know if you're getting
a sufficient answer. I don't know that anyone has written a book about
avionics software development - it would be an interesting thing to read.
These things get done in rather large companies when the processes,
techniques, etc. have evolved locally and are sometimes done more by
"tradition" than anything else. Once you've built something that works, you
tend to not want to change the way you did it for fear that something will
go wrong. With avionics, something going wrong is usually viewed as "A Bad
Thing".

I'm afraid I don't know of any books or on-line stuff about this. If you
hear of anything like this, post it because I think others might be
interested. Sounds more like you would want to do an apprenticeship
somewhere in the avionics field or spend some quality time with people from
various companies that do avionics. These things tend to be learned by
experience.

MDC
Marin David Condic - Quadrus Corporation - http://www.quadruscorp.com/
Send Replies To: m c o n d i c @ q u a d r u s c o r p . c o m
Visit my web site at:  http://www.mcondic.com/

    "Giving money and power to Government is like giving whiskey
    and car keys to teenage boys."

        --   P. J. O'Rourke

* Re: Mission Critical Software Development for Avionic Systems
@ 2000-10-25  0:00   ` mjsilva
From: mjsilva @ 2000-10-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <w0gJ5.1704$n23.240335@nnrp2.sbc.net>,
  "Pat Rogers" <progers@NOclasswideSPAM.com> wrote:

> http://www.openravenscar.org/OpenRavenscar

This site reports a server error -- anybody know if it's still healthy?

@ 2000-10-26  0:00     ` samsim
From: samsim @ 2000-10-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

No it is still not healthy. Tell me if this is your site.
Also see this www.quasarsoftware.net/software1.html you will find what
u are looking for.
suvendu

@ 2000-10-26 16:30     ` mjsilva