From: Charles Hixson <charleshixsn@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: gtkada/glade info needed
Date: 2000/10/10
Date: 2000-10-10T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

I've looked into that.   I've also looked into co-opting Mozilla.  But this
project has less than one person assigned to it.  A part of me.  HTML generation
is reasonable.  gtk is reasonable, but doesn't get me the needed reports.
TeX/LaTeX requires additional software installed at many remote locations, and,
also, I don't already know it.

The solution that I seem to be being driven towards is a web server.  I'm sure I
could put something up using Apache.  The problem is that some of the clients
don't have web access, but the number has been decreasing.  This would be a more
complicated web page than I've ever done before, and the amount of data to be
transferred causes me to prefer a more locally based connection.  Internally, on
our LAN, a web server would be quite a reasonable approach.  I'm less certain
about over the main internet.  Still, these files would be considerably smaller
than just about any MP3 file, but if any of the clients are using dial up
connections they would probably find the delays inherent in the system to be
intolerable.  These are database queries, after all.

But I seem to be veering away from Ada.

Most folk seem to say that gtk on Win32 systems is unreliable.  Is this true for
the current version of gtkAda?  I would prefer to learn the gtk toolkit because
it is crossplatform, but if it's unreliable I should probably look elsewhere.

Also, are there any special trick to getting glade running on Win95?  I haven't
yet been successful (though I admit my efforts have been quite dispersed).

-- (c) Charles Hixson
--  Addition of advertisements or hyperlinks to products specifically prohibited