* Suitability for small Windows projects
@ 2000-09-26 22:38 Ray Smith
From: Ray Smith @ 2000-09-26 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi There,

I have been looking into Ada for hobby programming.
(I am a professional Cobol / Visual Basic programmer with small amounts of
experience in about a dozen of other languages)

I have read the FAQ, browsed www.adahome.com but still had a couple of
questions I hope someone can answer.

1.  Can Ada (Assume gnat) produce standalone Windows executables?  If so,
how big are they compared to equivalent C executables? If no, how many files
would need to be distributed to run the application?

2.  Are there "good" libraries available for GUI, Winsockets and database
connectivity?

3.  Are there any DirectX or libraries available for making games? (I have
read the history of Ada and understand the goals but that doesn't mean Ada
can't be used for fun!!!)

Thanks,

Ray Smith

* Re: Suitability for small Windows projects
@ 2000-09-27  6:21 Alexey V. Litvinov
From: Alexey V. Litvinov @ 2000-09-27  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp lang ada

Ray Smith О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫ О©╫ О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫ <8qrs0i$kq2@newshost.fujitsu.com.au> ...

>I'm so surprised Ada isn't mentioned in magazines, newspapers and web
>development resource sites etc.
>From my limited reading Ada is at least a match for the popular
>C++/Java/Visual Basic/Delphi environments but yet doesn't even get a
>mention.

Good question...
I'm also occasionly take the book about her, and later been surprised that
earlier
I don't know nothing about this nice language.

>The "100 KB Hello World" I beleive is good.
>It's the "1.4 MB Hello World" program in Visual Basic with a 1.36 MB
runtime
>file that I'm trying to avoid.

Little hint: If you wish you may use executable packer (such as AsPack or
UPX)
little test:
hello.exe - 182k
after AsPack (www.aspack.com)
(24%) 45k.
In gnat also exist util gnatelim.exe for throwing unused routines from
executable.