From: Marin David Condic <mcondic.nospam@acm.org>
Subject: Re: Size of Float
Date: 2000/09/27
Date: 2000-09-27T13:38:17+00:00	[thread overview]

Daniel Allex wrote:

> Is a float limited to 32 bits or is there a 64 bit version?  I'm using
> Ada95.

The language doesn't limit the size of floating point types. What sizes
are available is going to depend on your compiler and platform. For
example, I'm using the GNAT cmpiler on a PC platform and this supports a
built-in type called Long_Long_Float which is 96 bits. Whereas the GNAT
compiler on an Alpha/VMS platform will only support 64 bits. The maximum
size is usually dictated by the underlying hardware.

MDC
Marin David Condic - Quadrus Corporation - http://www.quadruscorp.com/
Send Replies To: m c o n d i c @ q u a d r u s c o r p . c o m
Visit my web site at:  http://www.mcondic.com/

    "Giving money and power to Government is like giving whiskey
    and car keys to teenage boys."

        --   P. J. O'Rourke