* Ada and C++ communications using CORBA
@ 2000-09-18  0:00 Mike Silburn
From: Mike Silburn @ 2000-09-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am investigating the feasibility of re-using legacy Ada applications
with new  C++ developments using CORBA and the Portable Object Adapter
to communicate between the Ada and other areas.

Has  anyone successfully integated Ada with C++ using CORBA?

Regards Mike

* Re: Ada and C++ communications using CORBA
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2000-09-18  0:00 ` Darren Smith
From: Darren Smith @ 2000-09-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mike,

We've had Ada83 integrated with CORBA for about 4-5 years. Unfortunately,
we had to do it the hard way,
writing our own code generator that wrapped the Ada code into a C++ BOA
ORB environment.

These days there exist a number of Ada95 POA ORBs on the market.
OrbExpress is a good example.

--
mailto:darren.smith@eurocontrol.fr |  Tel +33(0)1 69887310
CORBA Project Manager,             |  Fax +33(0)1 69887227

* Re: Ada and C++ communications using CORBA
@ 2000-09-18  0:00 ` Thomas Quinot
From: Thomas Quinot @ 2000-09-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dans comp.lang.ada, Mike Silburn  �crit :

>I am investigating the feasibility of re-using legacy Ada applications
>with new  C++ developments using CORBA and the Portable Object Adapter
>to communicate between the Ada and other areas.

I would suggest that you have a look at AdaBroker, our free software
CORBA tool chain for Ada 95. We provide a POA implementation,and
generation of Delegation packages for easy wrapping of legacy
applications.

http://adabroker.eu.org/

Thomas.

--
    Thomas.Quinot@Cuivre.FR.EU.ORG

* Re: Ada and C++ communications using CORBA
@ 2000-09-18  0:00 ` Jeffrey Carter
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2000-09-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mike Silburn wrote:
> Has  anyone successfully integated Ada with C++ using CORBA?

I recall a presentation on the National Ignition Facility (I think
that's it's name) that used C++ for GUIs and Ada for the real-time,
important stuff, communicating via CORBA.

--
Jeff Carter
"Monsieur Arthur King, who has the brain of a duck, you know."

* Re: Ada and C++ communications using CORBA
@ 2000-09-18  0:00 ` Philip Lijnzaad
From: Philip Lijnzaad @ 2000-09-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000 09:30:47 +0100,
"Mike" == Mike Silburn <mike.silburn@amsjv.com> writes:

Mike> I am investigating the feasibility of re-using legacy Ada applications
Mike> with new  C++ developments using CORBA and the Portable Object Adapter
Mike> to communicate between the Ada and other areas.

Mike> Has  anyone successfully integated Ada with C++ using CORBA?

Well, the scenario is that the Ada and C++ parts are completely separate. In
your case, this will be C++ clients to an Ada server that wraps the legacy
application(s). So it depends on how well you wrap your legacy apps as a
server. Cheers,

                                                                      Philip

--
When C++ is your hammer, everything looks like a thumb. (Steven Haflich)
Philip Lijnzaad, lijnzaad@ebi.ac.uk \ European Bioinformatics Institute,rm A2-24

* Re: Ada and C++ communications using CORBA
@ 2000-09-19  0:00   ` jpwoodruff
From: jpwoodruff @ 2000-09-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <39C6917A.DB2BBC9@acm.org>,
  Jeffrey Carter <jrcarter@acm.org> wrote:
> Mike Silburn wrote:
> > Has  anyone successfully integated Ada with C++ using CORBA?
>
> I recall a presentation on the National Ignition Facility (I think
> that's it's name) that used C++ for GUIs and Ada for the real-time,
> important stuff, communicating via CORBA.

The National Ignition Facility is indeed our name: lasers.llnl.gov/
lasers/nif.html.  We're a  $2Billion Department of Energy project for
laser-driven fusion research.  Located at Livermore National Lab in
California.  Described in the '98 SIGAda.

Our integrated control system is written in Ada and communicates via
CORBA.  But our plan to use C++ for our GUI's has been replaced by Java.

We're getting excellent results using ORBexpress in Ada and Visibroker in
Java.

John Woodruff
woodruff1@llnl.gov

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: Ada and C++ communications using CORBA
@ 2000-09-24  0:00     ` Devon Prichard
From: Devon Prichard @ 2000-09-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

jpwoodruff@my-deja.com wrote:

> In article <39C6917A.DB2BBC9@acm.org>,
>   Jeffrey Carter <jrcarter@acm.org> wrote:
> > Mike Silburn wrote:
> > > Has  anyone successfully integated Ada with C++ using CORBA?
> >
> > I recall a presentation on the National Ignition Facility (I think
> > that's it's name) that used C++ for GUIs and Ada for the real-time,
> > important stuff, communicating via CORBA.
> >

> The National Ignition Facility is indeed our name: lasers.llnl.gov/
> lasers/nif.html.  We're a  $2Billion Department of Energy project for
> laser-driven fusion research.  Located at Livermore National Lab in
> California.  Described in the '98 SIGAda.
>
> Our integrated control system is written in Ada and communicates via
> CORBA.  But our plan to use C++ for our GUI's has been replaced by Java.
>
> We're getting excellent results using ORBexpress in Ada and Visibroker in
> Java.

Hi there, are you folks using Ada just for
hardware control & real-time stuff, or are
you also using it for calculations & offline
data processing?

Dr. Devon Prichard,  Lockheed Martin  d.s.prichard@larc.nasa.gov
"There are lies, damned lies, and statistics" -- Benjamin Disraeli
"...and benchmarks" -- Garry Hodgson

* Re: Ada and C++ communications using CORBA
@ 2000-09-25  0:00     ` erber
From: erber @ 2000-09-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I can ony agree with this. We have done already 2 successfull projects,
using this configuation.

Jakob

In article <8q8fud$bid$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,

@ 2000-09-25  0:00       ` jpwoodruff
From: jpwoodruff @ 2000-09-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <39CE2E82.C3753947@larc.nasa.gov>,
  Devon Prichard <d.s.prichard@larc.nasa.gov> wrote:
> jpwoodruff@my-deja.com wrote:

{shortened}

> > The National Ignition Facility is indeed our name: lasers.llnl.gov/
> > lasers/nif.html.  We're a  $2Billion Department of Energy project for
> > laser-driven fusion research.  Located at Livermore National Lab in
> > California.  Described in the '98 SIGAda.
> >
> > Our integrated control system is written in Ada and communicates via
> > CORBA.  But our plan to use C++ for our GUI's has been replaced by Java.
> >
> > We're getting excellent results using ORBexpress in Ada and Visibroker in
> > Java.
>
> Hi there, are you folks using Ada just for
> hardware control & real-time stuff, or are
> you also using it for calculations & offline
> data processing?

We're using Ada *by policy* in the integrated control system: all the
systems that operate the equipment.  Real-time controls are encapsulated
in the lowest-level equipment control ("Front-end Processor") computers.
Event-driven operator interfaces (that have Java GUI fronts) run "in the
control room."  Higher-level functions in aid of large-scale integration,
eg experiment planning or system-wide diagnosis, are planned in the same
integrated system (in Ada).

There are of course numerous other software components - project and
business management, configuration databases, the physics models of laser
performance, analysis of experimental data - that already exist or will
be constructed using whatever technology best fits the application.
SQL database interactions and CORBA interfaces open these without overly
constraining our programming technology choices.

Our experimental data - much of it images - are still several years in
future. Thes will be saved in standard file formats (HDF for example) and
will be processed using commercial or academic processing software.