* Re: ada programmer
@ 2000-09-05 12:03 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-09-05 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Damon Carter wrote:

> The package System described in chapter 13 section 7 of the Ada95 language
> reference manual.  This package defines a type called Name. Can anybody
> write an Ada95 program to display all the relevant attributes for Name. If
> so please help

Mathias, if you are still reading, *this* is a good example what Marin was
talking about when he said, "looks suspiciously like a request for someone to
do your homework for you:".

Its even worded like a homework problem. If I'm getting you wrong Damon, I'm
sorry. But this looks like you didn't even bother to reword the problem to
hide the fact.

Of course just about everyone here can do this. But we wouldn't be doing you
any favors by doing it for you. Go look in your textbook. It should have an
appendix listing all the attributes for various kinds of objects. If it is
actually writing a program that's causing you trouble, go ask your instructor
for help. That's what you are paying the school all that money for.

--
T.E.D.

Home - mailto:dennison@telepath.com  Work - mailto:dennison@ssd.fsi.com
WWW  - http://www.telepath.com/dennison/Ted/TED.html  ICQ  - 10545591

* Re: ada programmer
@ 2000-09-05 13:57   ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2000-09-05 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Dennison wrote:

> Mathias, if you are still reading, *this* is a good example what Marin was
> talking about when he said, "looks suspiciously like a request for someone to
> do your homework for you:".

I'd agree that it looks like a good homework assignment - even if it isn't. So
I'd be willing to go as far as to observe that all one would have to do is
determine what the data type was and then look in the appendix of the ARM labeled
"Language Defined Attributes" to determine all the attributes that apply. From
there it is simple to display the attributes given that one knows how to use
Text_IO. A skilled Ada programmer could probably pull together the program in a
matter of minutes. A student learning the language might need an hour or two -
but certainly this doesn't sound like an enormous task.

IMHO, someone requesting help with homework may not be harmed by giving them a
pointer to the appropriate resource - much like what a librarian would do if you
came in and said: "I'm writing a paper on Ancient Oriental Underwater
Basketweaving - can you help me?" Providing the actual paper would be A Bad
Thing, but pointing to the correct books on the shelf is probably fair.

MDC
Marin David Condic - Quadrus Corporation - http://www.quadruscorp.com/
Send Replies To: m c o n d i c @ q u a d r u s c o r p . c o m
Visit my web site at:  http://www.mcondic.com/

    "Take away the punchbowl just when the party gets going"

        --  William McChesney Martin, Former Fed chairman, explaining
            what a sound central bank must always do.

* Re: ada programmer
@ 2000-09-05 17:44   ` Mathias Dolidon
From: Mathias Dolidon @ 2000-09-05 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Mathias, if you are still reading, *this* is a good example what Marin was
> talking about when he said, "looks suspiciously like a request for someone to
> do your homework for you:".

Anyway at school I just learn C and 68000 asm. No matter ;)

* ada programmer
@ 2000-09-06  0:42 Damon Carter
From: Damon Carter @ 2000-09-06  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

The package System described in chapter 13 section 7 of the Ada95 language
reference manual.  This package defines a type called Name. Can anybody
write an Ada95 program to display all the relevant attributes for Name. If
so please help

thanks
       Carter

* Hey I got the same assignment question!
@ 2000-09-11 18:33 ` The Tiny Lobster
From: The Tiny Lobster @ 2000-09-11 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hmmmm ECU Mount Lawely Comp Sci Methods?? :-)

On Tue, 5 Sep 2000 17:42:19 -0700, "Damon Carter" <vins@iinet.net.au>
wrote:

>The package System described in chapter 13 section 7 of the Ada95 language
>reference manual.  This package defines a type called Name. Can anybody
>write an Ada95 program to display all the relevant attributes for Name. If
>so please help
>
>thanks
>       Carter

"We are monkeys, camping in the future"

"I'm not interrupting you, I'm putting our conversation in full-duplex mode." - Antone Roundy

* Re: Hey I got the same assignment question!
@ 2000-09-13 11:25   ` Phil Slater
From: Phil Slater @ 2000-09-13 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

It's an enumeration type. I don't see the problem. Try this
-------------------------------
with System, Text_Io;
procedure Show_Name is
   package Name_Io is new Text_Io.Enumeration_Io(System.Name);
begin
   Text_Io.Put_Line("Values of type System.Name are:");
   for N in System.Name loop
      Name_Io.Put(N);
   end loop;
end Show_Name;
or have I missed the point of your question?

Phil Slater