From: "Marin D. Condic" <mcondic-nospam@acm.org>
Subject: Re: change screen colour??
Date: 2000/08/26
Date: 2000-08-26T13:36:07+00:00	[thread overview]

tmoran@bix.com wrote:

> >>What type of system are you running on?
> >Pentium 200 mmx!
>
>   Not "what CPU chip is in your system" but what kind of system are you
> running on?  Do any programs on your system display colors?  Does your
> Pentium reside in an embedded system that has no display?  A black and
> white only palm computer?  A Hercules BW graphic card in a DOS or
> Windows 3.1 system?  The latest 24 bit color card with monitor to match?
> In the latter case, are you running Linux, Windows, DOS, OS/2 or what?
> Have you told the operating system your display preferences?  Are you
> trying to make existing programs go from BW to color, or do you plan to
> write new programs and want them to be in color?  Are you doing text,
> static images from graphic files, or do you want moving colored graphic
> images?

A good illustration of how we often get posts asking for help with
insufficient information. Newbies and students should take this into
consideration and frame their questions a bit better. Something more
like: "I'm writing a program to run in an MS-DOS window on a Win98/PC
and I want to change the background color of the MS-DOS window from
black to white" would have been a much better problem description.

And at the risk of sounding like the Newsgroup Gestapo, this doesn't
have anything to do with Ada. Its moderately important that the question
throw in "...using <compiler-brand>/Ada95?...." in there somewhere. We
can be pretty helpful around here, but it should at least have *some*
connection to the language of record. :-)

Thanks, Tom. Maybe the original poster will come back with something
more specific as a result.

MDC
Marin David Condic - Quadrus Corporation - http://www.quadruscorp.com/
Send Replies To: m c o n d i c @ q u a d r u s c o r p . c o m
Visit my web site at:  http://www.mcondic.com/

    "Take away the punchbowl just when the party gets going"

        --  William McChesney Martin, Former Fed chairman, explaining
            what a sound central bank must always do.