* Compiler able to map Tasks on MP-Systems?
@ 2000-08-04  0:00 Manfred Muecke
From: Manfred Muecke @ 2000-08-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

We do research in the field of distributed computing.
We are looking for an Ada Compiler which is able to map an Ada program
consisting of
several tasks on a Multiprocessor system (currently we are using the
TMS320C40, which holds 4 TI C40 DSPs).

Is anyone of you aware of such a Compiler or has even already used it?

Thanks in advance, Manfred

Manfred Muecke
moskito@sbox.tu-graz.ac.at

* Re: Compiler able to map Tasks on MP-Systems?
@ 2000-08-09  0:00 ` Tucker Taft
From: Tucker Taft @ 2000-08-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Manfred Muecke wrote:

> We do research in the field of distributed computing.
> We are looking for an Ada Compiler which is able to map an Ada program
> consisting of
> several tasks on a Multiprocessor system (currently we are using the
> TMS320C40, which holds 4 TI C40 DSPs).
>
> Is anyone of you aware of such a Compiler or has even already used it?

Many Ada compilers map tasks across multiple processors.  The most
frequent way to do this is to map Ada tasks to operating system threads,
and then rely on the underlying operating system to map threads
across multiple processors.  However, for "bare machine" run-times,
where there is no underlying operating system, the Ada run-time
has to do it itself (and there are many that do so).

As far as the TI C40, I don't know which vendors are supporting
that platform currently.  We are supporting the Analog Devices SHARC,
but the multiple processor configuration we are using does not have
any shared memory, and the Ada run-time generally requires that all
tasks of a single Ada program (partition) be in the same address space.
Hence, we map separate Ada programs to separate SHARC processors.

--
-Tucker Taft   stt@averstar.com   http://www.averstar.com/~stt/
Technical Director, Commercial Division, AverStar (formerly Intermetrics)