* DOS GNAT 1.83 returns 'unknown file type' on compilation
@ 1994-11-02  2:06 Roger Labbe
From: Roger Labbe @ 1994-11-02  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think I just missed a thread on installing GNAT 1.83, so
I apologize if I am revisiting a recent topic. However,
I just tried to install GNAT 1.83 on my dos system (MSDOS 6.21)
following the installation instructions. When I try
to compile a file using gcc I always get back an error message stating

Unknown file type

followed by one of 0x6957, 0x2d2d, 0x7270.

I installed by copying all 3 distribution zip files into the directory
c:\djgpp and using pkunzip to unzip them with the -d option.
I copied the supplied autoexec.bat commands into a bat file which I call
from my autoexec.bat file and rebooted the system. I used the gcc supplied
with the distribution as I did not already have gcc installed on
my computer.

Roger Labbe

* Re: DOS GNAT 1.83 returns 'unknown file type' on compilation
@ 1994-11-02 21:31 Bennett, Chip (KTR) ~U
From: Bennett, Chip (KTR) ~U @ 1994-11-02 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Roger Labbe <dodger@GCR.COM> wrote:

> I just tried to install GNAT 1.83 on my dos system (MSDOS 6.21)
> following the installation instructions. When I try
> to compile a file using gcc I always get back an error message stating
>
> Unknown file type

Forgive me if I am stating the obvious, but since you didn't mention it, are
you using an extension of "adb" for procedures and bodies, and "ads" for
specs?

* Chip Bennett, GDE Systems Inc | BennettC@j64.stratcom.af.mil  *
* USSTRATCOM/J64213             | Voice (402)294-7360           *
* 901 SAC Blvd, Suite 2B24      | FAX   (402)294-7912           *
* Offutt AFB, NE 68113-6600     | Opinions expressed are my own *

* Re: DOS GNAT 1.83 returns 'unknown file type' on compilation
@ 1994-11-02 21:38 ` Roger Labbe
From: Roger Labbe @ 1994-11-02 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Bennett, Chip (KTR) ~U" <BennettC@J64.STRATCOM.AF.MIL> writes:

>Forgive me if I am stating the obvious, but since you didn't mention it, are
>you using an extension of "adb" for procedures and bodies, and "ads" for
>specs?

Yes. I get the error even when trying to compile the example files included
in the distribution.

Maybe a better question is: am I using the right compile command?
The readme.dos file says to use

   gcc -c hello.adb

which doesn't work since gcc expects 'gcc filename [options]'.
The commands 'gcc hello.adb' and 'gcc hello.adb -c' are causing the error.

Given the possibility that I am using the wrong command, I tried the
same thing with the other executables. I get the same 'unknown file type'
error.

Roger

* Re: DOS GNAT 1.83 returns 'unknown file type' on compilation
@ 1994-11-03 11:34 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1994-11-03 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Roger, I hope you sent your installation question to gnat-report@cs.
It is *particularly* the case that those on the GNAT team most likely
to be able to answer installation questions do not read CLA!

* Re: DOS GNAT 1.83 returns 'unknown file type' on compilation
@ 1994-11-03 20:01 ` Roger Labbe
From: Roger Labbe @ 1994-11-03 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Bennett, Chip (KTR) ~U" <BennettC@J64.STRATCOM.AF.MIL> writes:

>Where did you get that the "-c" had to be after the file name?  We have gnat
>for SunOS and DOS.  Both allow "gcc -c hello.adb".  Could this have
>something to do with the problem?

If I type gcc at the c:, I get back
 c:/djgpp/bin/gcc.exe version 1.10oe2 Copyright (C) 1991 DJ Delorie
Usage c:/djgpp/bin/gcc [program [options . . . ]]

if I type gcc -c hello.adb I get the message
Can't open file <-c>

If I type gcc hello.adb -c I get the unknown file type message. I get
the same error if I leave out the -c.

>I wonder if you are picking up an old version of gcc, from somewhere in your
>path, that was not designed to handle gnat.

I did not have gcc installed before I installed GNAT. If I do a search in
all directories for gcc.* I only find gcc.exe in c:\djgpp\bin.

Several people have emailed me suggesting other things; I get the
impression that all had gcc installed before GNAT. I used the 'minimal
gcc installation' provided with the GNAT distribution. My suspicions are
that if I install a full gcc, then install gnat, things will work.

I guess I better email gnat-report as someone suggested.

@ 1994-11-03 20:35 Bennett, Chip (KTR) ~U
From: Bennett, Chip (KTR) ~U @ 1994-11-03 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1994-11-04  8:30   ` Samuel Tardieu
From: Samuel Tardieu @ 1994-11-04  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Roger> Several people have emailed me suggesting other things; I
    Roger> get the impression that all had gcc installed before
    Roger> GNAT. I used the 'minimal gcc installation' provided with
    Roger> the GNAT distribution. My suspicions are that if I install
    Roger> a full gcc, then install gnat, things will work.

I haven't installed gcc before gnat, I got the 'minimal djgpp
installation' provided with Gnat 1.83 MSDOS executables. And this
works just fine. You should try to re-pick up a clean distribution (3
disks) and re-install it from scratch.

  Sam
--
"La cervelle des petits enfants, ca doit avoir comme un petit gout de noisette"
                                                       Charles Baudelaire