* Re: Ada 95 S/W Eng
@ 2000-07-17  0:00   ` Ray Blaak
From: Ray Blaak @ 2000-07-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake <stephen.a.leake.1@gsfc.nasa.gov> writes:
> "fmclifton" <fmclifton@mindspring.com> writes:
> > Anyone interested should forward a "Word" formatted copy of their resume to
>
> Hmph. _Real_ Software Engineers don't use "Word". My resume is in
> LaTeX, or plain text.

Human resource departments usually use business software, not programmer
software.

LaTeX roolz, but if you want the resources people to be able read your resume,
the unfortunate fact is that you have to send it in the format they ask for.

At any rate, the modern way is to send a URL and they can view it online and
print it as desired.

--
Cheers,                                        The Rhythm is around me,
                                               The Rhythm has control.

* Ada 95 S/W Eng
@ 2000-07-17  0:00 fmclifton
From: fmclifton @ 2000-07-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

is there anyone out there that has experience with Ada 95?
Are you interested in a permanent position in the San Fernando Valley,
(southern California)?
We still have several opportunities available in the 55-95K range for Ada /
C Software Engineers with real time embedded experience.
The ideal candidates would have experience with avionics systems. However,
that is not a requirement.  Any experience with Ada 95 could qualify you for
one of these excellent permanent positions.
For those who may be unfamiliar with southern California, this location in
the San Fernando Valley is an excellent place to live and work.
Anyone interested should forward a "Word" formatted copy of their resume to
fmclifton@mindspring.com  If you have questions before you send your resume,
I will do my best to answer them.
Thanks,
Mike

--
Mike Clifton, Senior Recruiter
NTS/XXCAL, Inc.

* Re: Ada 95 S/W Eng
@ 2000-07-17  0:00 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2000-07-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"fmclifton" <fmclifton@mindspring.com> writes:

> <snip>
> Anyone interested should forward a "Word" formatted copy of their resume to

Hmph. _Real_ Software Engineers don't use "Word". My resume is in
LaTeX, or plain text.

(Obligatory Ada relevance: Anyone know of a word processor written in
Ada?)

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Ada 95 S/W Eng
@ 2000-07-17  0:00   ` Jeff Parke
From: Jeff Parke @ 2000-07-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake wrote:

> "fmclifton" <fmclifton@mindspring.com> writes:
>
> > <snip>
> > Anyone interested should forward a "Word" formatted copy of their resume to
>
> Hmph. _Real_ Software Engineers don't use "Word". My resume is in
> LaTeX, or plain text.

I use SGML, and I note that it doesn't interfere with my ability to operate a
swing
lathe or generate LaTeX.  However, Word causes me gas.

> (Obligatory Ada relevance: Anyone know of a word processor written in
> Ada?)

No, but since Auburn seems to be moving grasp to Java...it seems a nice
opportunity
for us vi users to make "word processing" extensions to grasp in Ada.  Probably
closest
to an Ada wordprocessing product are the (as yet unreleased) extensions to Emacs
from ACT, ... but I suspect you knew that. :)

Coming in third...is LyX.  The LyX folk still have problems, and last I looked it
seemed
that many of them could be remedied by the bounds checking that the strong typing
of
Ada.provides.  Since I find myself suddenly find myself investigating interfaces
to ATM
switches (any help welcome...funding possible) I haven't had time to integrate
all the
wonderfull tools that the Ada fold has recently spewed out.  It certainly seems
to me
that "gate" from the GTKAda package could be combined with TED's OpenToken
in interesting ways...especially since I have a client clamoring for XML.

Excuse spelling errors...I write this on a WinBox of indeterminate lineage, and
the little
weasel who use to use this box has perverted it to his idea of capitalism (mostly
he profits
regardless of your end of the transaction.)

> --
> -- Stephe

* Re: Ada 95 S/W Eng
@ 2000-07-18  0:00     ` Bill Greene
From: Bill Greene @ 2000-07-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ray Blaak wrote:

> Stephen Leake <stephen.a.leake.1@gsfc.nasa.gov> writes:
> > "fmclifton" <fmclifton@mindspring.com> writes:
> > > Anyone interested should forward a "Word" formatted copy of their resume to
> >
> > Hmph. _Real_ Software Engineers don't use "Word". My resume is in
> > LaTeX, or plain text.
>
> Human resource departments usually use business software, not programmer
> software.
>
> LaTeX roolz, but if you want the resources people to be able read your resume,
> the unfortunate fact is that you have to send it in the format they ask for.

If you used a word processor to write your r�sum�, see if you can save a
copy in RTF format for sending to Word users.  RTF is, I believe, a
Microsoft format with which Microsoft seems sufficiently bored that it
has been pretty stable.  I know that, for example,
ClarisWorks/AppleWorks can export and import RTF, and, AFAIK, any
version of Word can import RTF files.
--
William R. Greene                              1100 Perimeter Park Drive
NetIQ, formerly Ganymede Software                              Suite 104

* Re: Ada 95 S/W Eng
@ 2000-07-18  0:00     ` G. de Montmollin
From: G. de Montmollin @ 2000-07-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ray Blaak wrote:

> Human resource departments usually use business software, not programmer
> software.
>
> LaTeX roolz, but if you want the resources people to be able read your resume,
> the unfortunate fact is that you have to send it in the format they ask for.

You can do LaTeX -> DVIPS -> PS2PDF and send the PDF...

Gautier  --  http://members.xoom.com/gdemont/gsoft.htm

* Re: Ada 95 S/W Eng
@ 2000-07-18  0:00     ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-07-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3973A59B.75E0FD00@freeoutpost.com>,
  Jeff Parke <webmaster@freeoutpost.com> wrote:
> It certainly seems to me that "gate" from the GTKAda package could be
> combined with TED's OpenToken in interesting ways...especially since
> I have a client clamoring for XML.

There is rudimentary HTML support in OpenToken, thanks to Christ Grein.
But I'd love to see someone submit good XML support.

I've been using GTKAda for the last few days, and I'd really like to see
something interesting done with XML there too. In particular, I'd like
to see something similar to Motif's UIL support. I was really
disappointed in the way Glade spits out tons of files that have to be
hand-edited (and thus hand-merged when the GUI changes).

I should also mention that I've been working on a *new* parsing
mechanism for OpenToken, which will be released as a beta version
shortly. It was inspired by ANTLR. So instead of being table driven like
lex, it helps you to build recursive-decent (LL) parsers. I like this
approach better than the old LR approach for the following reasons:

   o  There's no complicated up-front table-building, which is more
in-keeping with the OpenToken approach for lexical analysis.
   o  Parsing errors should be easier to debug, as you can just step
through the parse routines. With the current parser you'd have to search
the machine-generated table for bad entries, and try to figure out why
the builder put them there.
   o  Parsers can now be usefully inherited from and extended.

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: Ada 95 S/W Eng
@ 2000-07-18  0:00       ` Scott Ingram`
From: Scott Ingram` @ 2000-07-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've managed to attribute comments to Jeff that he could
never have made since he wouldn't know what Ada, XML,
Glade or OpenToken were if he was hit in the head with them:

Ted Dennison wrote:

> In article <3973A59B.75E0FD00@freeoutpost.com>
>   Jeff Parke <webmaster@freeoutpost.com> wrote:
> > It certainly seems to me that "gate" from the GTKAda package could be
> > combined with TED's OpenToken in interesting ways...especially since
> > I have a client clamoring for XML.
>
> There is rudimentary HTML support in OpenToken, thanks to Christ Grein.
> But I'd love to see someone submit good XML support.

Obviously I need to spend some time at home in front of my monitor catching
up on the growing body of libre software that Adaphiles are churning out!

> I've been using GTKAda for the last few days, and I'd really like to see
> something interesting done with XML there too. In particular, I'd like
> to see something similar to Motif's UIL support. I was really
> disappointed in the way Glade spits out tons of files that have to be
> hand-edited (and thus hand-merged when the GUI changes).

I bought a Motif license some time ago but never really had the time
to explore UIL.  What advantages does it offer?

> I should also mention that I've been working on a *new* parsing
> mechanism for OpenToken, which will be released as a beta version
> --
> T.E.D.
>
> http://www.telepath.com/~dennison/Ted/TED.html

Excellent!

* Re: Ada 95 S/W Eng
@ 2000-07-19  0:00         ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-07-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3974D8FA.27F8E628@silver.jhuapl.edu>,
  Scott Ingram` <scott@silver.jhuapl.edu> wrote:
> Ted Dennison wrote:
> > something interesting done with XML there too. In particular, I'd
> > like to see something similar to Motif's UIL support. I was really
> > disappointed in the way Glade spits out tons of files that have to
> > be hand-edited (and thus hand-merged when the GUI changes).
>
> I bought a Motif license some time ago but never really had the time
> to explore UIL.  What advantages does it offer?

UIL is a language for specifying user interfaces. That much it shares
with GTK's glade XML. But Motif distributions come with a UIL compiler
that compiles the interface language, reports any errors (including
usage errors that no Ada or C compiler could catch), and builds UID
object files. These object files can be loaded from a C or Ada program
with one call, and realized with another. The only actual widgets that
your code has to worry about is the top-level widget in the hierarchy,
and any widgets it needs to access directly from callbacks for other
widgets. I like to put those in an enumeration-indexed array, so that
retreiving them from the hierarchy is only 2 more lines of code (1 for
the for loop, one for the Motif call). So instead of hundreds of lines
of grisly UI code to set up the user interface, my Ada code has 4 lines
of GUI setup code.

UIL also enforces a nice separation between my application and its GUI,
which makes the whole thing a lot easier to maintain. Also, all
installations of Motif and just about all Motif GUI builders can output
UIL, so I can switch GUI builders and platforms at will.

The drawbacks to UIL are:
  o  It can only specify the setup of GUI objects, not their dynamic
behavior. You'll need user-written callbacks with manual Motif calls to
specify behavior.
  o  It puts all the initialization overhead in one place, which can
amount to a noticable delay at startup time.
  o  Its a separate language, so anyone suffering under a
single-language "mandate" must get some kind of waiver to use it.