From: Jeff Parke <webmaster@freeoutpost.com>
Subject: Re: Ada 95 S/W Eng
Date: 2000/07/17
Date: 2000-07-18T00:36:01+00:00	[thread overview]

Stephen Leake wrote:

> "fmclifton" <fmclifton@mindspring.com> writes:
>
> > <snip>
> > Anyone interested should forward a "Word" formatted copy of their resume to
>
> Hmph. _Real_ Software Engineers don't use "Word". My resume is in
> LaTeX, or plain text.

I use SGML, and I note that it doesn't interfere with my ability to operate a
swing
lathe or generate LaTeX.  However, Word causes me gas.

> (Obligatory Ada relevance: Anyone know of a word processor written in
> Ada?)

No, but since Auburn seems to be moving grasp to Java...it seems a nice
opportunity
for us vi users to make "word processing" extensions to grasp in Ada.  Probably
closest
to an Ada wordprocessing product are the (as yet unreleased) extensions to Emacs
from ACT, ... but I suspect you knew that. :)

Coming in third...is LyX.  The LyX folk still have problems, and last I looked it
seemed
that many of them could be remedied by the bounds checking that the strong typing
of
Ada.provides.  Since I find myself suddenly find myself investigating interfaces
to ATM
switches (any help welcome...funding possible) I haven't had time to integrate
all the
wonderfull tools that the Ada fold has recently spewed out.  It certainly seems
to me
that "gate" from the GTKAda package could be combined with TED's OpenToken
in interesting ways...especially since I have a client clamoring for XML.

Excuse spelling errors...I write this on a WinBox of indeterminate lineage, and
the little
weasel who use to use this box has perverted it to his idea of capitalism (mostly
he profits
regardless of your end of the transaction.)