From: "Dr. Michael Paus" <paus@ib-paus.com>
Subject: Clock Synchronization
Date: 2000/07/14
Date: 2000-07-14T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Hi,

I have a problem which is not directly Ada related but as there
are a lot of embedded system experts in this forum I thought it
is worth a try.

We are running a distributed application on three PowerPC boards
which are connected via VME-Bus. The application is written in
Ada 95 (GNAT) and we use LynxOS as our RTOS. The problem we are
facing is that we need highly synchronized (~1ms) clocks on
each board. We are sending messages with time-stamps back and forth
and so it is important that each part of the application has the
same understanding of the time. Does anybody have an idea of how
to accomplish this without putting too much extra load on the
system? Does anybody know of a hardware solution for this problem
(a common clock which can be read from all CPU-boards)?

Any hints and proposals are welcome.

Michael