* Re: looking for Ada utility
@ 2000-07-12  0:00     ` Ken Garlington
From: Ken Garlington @ 2000-07-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Mark T" <mark_taubeNOmaSPAM@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
news:032ac8f2.898a8a59@usw-ex0101-007.remarq.com...

> >Did you consider GRASP - not sure if it's exactly the right tool
> you need.
> >Anyway, URL:
> >
> >http://www.eng.auburn.edu/department/cse/research/grasp/grasp_ma
> in.shtml
>
>   I have used this tool, it is nice for lower level details but
> not for programming-in-the-large
>
> my problem is I have to find and fix a bug in a 10K sloc program
> written in a Tartan C30 "Ada dialect". Of course, I was never
> involved in the development of this software and any supporting
> SW documents are missing or worthless, the design of the code is
> very strange.

Do you have the Tartan Ada toolset? IIRC, there is a tool that will generate
a dependency report as part of the standard Tartan environment...

* Re: looking for Ada utility
@ 2000-07-12  0:00 ` Rennie Allen
From: Rennie Allen @ 2000-07-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark T wrote:

> I'm looking for a free utility tool that will perform a similar
> function to the cflow utility, starting in a "main" procedure
> will give a flow of caller/callee. The code does not use "Use" so
> all calls are prepended with the package name. Is there anything
> out there? I have neither the budget nor time (P.O. etc) to get a
> commercial tool like Understand for Ada.

You might want to check source navigator.  I believe there is a parser plug-in
for Ada.

--
To succeed in this world it is not enough to be stupid; you must also be
well-mannered.

* looking for Ada utility
@ 2000-07-12  0:00 Mark T
From: Mark T @ 2000-07-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm looking for a free utility tool that will perform a similar
function to the cflow utility, starting in a "main" procedure
will give a flow of caller/callee. The code does not use "Use" so
all calls are prepended with the package name. Is there anything
out there? I have neither the budget nor time (P.O. etc) to get a
commercial tool like Understand for Ada.
I was able to gnatchop the code (but unable to compile with gnat)
and create html so that is a help. Thank you Ada Core or whomever
developed those utilities!

   thanks

     Mark

Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

* Re: looking for Ada utility
@ 2000-07-12  0:00 ` G. de Montmollin
From: G. de Montmollin @ 2000-07-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark T wrote:

> I'm looking for a free utility tool that will perform a similar
> function to the cflow utility, starting in a "main" procedure
> will give a flow of caller/callee. The code does not use "Use" so
> all calls are prepended with the package name. Is there anything
> out there? I have neither the budget nor time (P.O. etc) to get a
> commercial tool like Understand for Ada.

Did you consider GRASP - not sure if it's exactly the right tool you need.
Anyway, URL:

http://www.eng.auburn.edu/department/cse/research/grasp/grasp_main.shtml

> I was able to gnatchop the code (but unable to compile with gnat)
> and create html so that is a help. Thank you Ada Core or whomever
> developed those utilities!

Do you mean "gnathtml" rather ? Anyway if you can "gnatchop",
you are very near to succeed in compiling !
For the GNATHTML prowesses, see my page there:
 http://members.xoom.com/gdemont/unzipada.htm
(topic: browsable source). GNATHTML is fully automatic!
See also LZH prog. at page below:
Gautier  --  http://members.xoom.com/gdemont/gsoft.htm

* Re: looking for Ada utility
@ 2000-07-12  0:00   ` Mark T
From: Mark T @ 2000-07-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Did you consider GRASP - not sure if it's exactly the right tool
you need.
>Anyway, URL:
>
>http://www.eng.auburn.edu/department/cse/research/grasp/grasp_ma
in.shtml

  I have used this tool, it is nice for lower level details but
not for programming-in-the-large

my problem is I have to find and fix a bug in a 10K sloc program
written in a Tartan C30 "Ada dialect". Of course, I was never
involved in the development of this software and any supporting
SW documents are missing or worthless, the design of the code is
very strange.

>> I was able to gnatchop the code (but unable to compile with

>Do you mean "gnathtml" rather ?

 yes, I left that detail out but without full compile you can
only hop around by program unit.

> Anyway if you can "gnatchop",
>you are very near to succeed in compiling !

  not really quite a few low-level packages are non-standard.

>For the GNATHTML prowesses, see my page there:
> http://members.xoom.com/gdemont/unzipada.htm
>(topic: browsable source). GNATHTML is fully automatic!

 I know and I wish I could get my code compiled with GNAT :(

Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

* Java  (was looking for Ada utility)
@ 2000-07-13  0:00   ` Robert B. Love
From: Robert B. Love  @ 2000-07-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <396CACAE.58564550@maths.unine.ch> "G. de Montmollin" wrote:
> Mark T wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for a free utility tool that will perform a similar
> > function to the cflow utility, starting in a "main" procedure
> > will give a flow of caller/callee. The code does not use "Use" so
> > all calls are prepended with the package name. Is there anything
> > out there? I have neither the budget nor time (P.O. etc) to get a
> > commercial tool like Understand for Ada.
>
> Did you consider GRASP - not sure if it's exactly the right tool you
need.
> Anyway, URL:

http://www.eng.auburn.edu/department/cse/research/grasp/grasp_main.shtml

Did anybody else see the recent announcement by the GRASP project?
They've converted to Java.  And they now recommend a 300 MHz Pentium
to run it.  Why exactly do people want to do big projects in Java
again?

 Bob Love
 rlove@neosoft.com

* Re: Java  (was looking for Ada utility)
@ 2000-07-13  0:00     ` Alain Le Guennec
From: Alain Le Guennec @ 2000-07-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

There also exists an ASIS utility to build call trees.
It is provided as an example of ASIS programming
on the ASIS Working Group site, at the following URL:
http://info.acm.org/sigs/sigada/wg/asiswg/asis_call_tree_example.adb

I guess it can be compiled with ASIS for GNAT.
Hope this helps.

--
	Alain Le Guennec, not speaking for IRISA.

* Re: Java  (was looking for Ada utility)
@ 2000-07-13  0:00     ` Jeff Creem
From: Jeff Creem @ 2000-07-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Robert B. Love " <rlove@antispam.neosoft.com> wrote in message

stuff deleted..

> http://www.eng.auburn.edu/department/cse/research/grasp/grasp_main.shtml
> >

> Did anybody else see the recent announcement by the GRASP project?
> They've converted to Java.  And they now recommend a 300 MHz Pentium
> to run it.  Why exactly do people want to do big projects in Java
> again?

I've got a Pentium II 350 and it is too slugish for my tastes...Grrr.