* ANN: OpenGLAda 0.6 and FreeTypeAda released
@ 2017-10-30 11:17 Felix Krause
From: Felix Krause @ 2017-10-30 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

In this version, the dated FTGL binding has been replaced by a binding
to the FreeType library itself, which enables more flexibility for
drawing text. Furthermore, a package GL.Text has been added which
provides a more high-level API similar to FTGL. It depends on Dmitry A.
Kazakov's excellent Strings_Edit [2] package for UTF-8 decoding so that
it is easy to render any UTF-8 string.

Since the FreeType binding may be useful for purposes unrelated to
OpenGL, it is also available as a separate project [3]; however, it
currently has no own versioning scheme and no documentation and is
simply synchronized with the OpenGLAda repository. The binding is not
complete; it only wraps the parts that were necessary to use it with
OpenGL. This may improve in the future.

The current OpenGLAda release is available as tag of its repository [1].

 [1]: https://github.com/flyx/OpenGLAda/releases
 [2]: http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de/ada/strings_edit.htm
 [3]: https://github.com/flyx/FreeTypeAda

--
Regards,
Felix Krause

* Re: ANN: OpenGLAda 0.6 and FreeTypeAda released
@ 2019-03-03  2:07 ` Rufas Cube
From: Rufas Cube @ 2019-03-03  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 4:17:15 AM UTC-7, Felix Krause wrote:
> In this version, the dated FTGL binding has been replaced by a binding
> to the FreeType library itself, which enables more flexibility for
> drawing text. Furthermore, a package GL.Text has been added which
> provides a more high-level API similar to FTGL. It depends on Dmitry A.
> Kazakov's excellent Strings_Edit [2] package for UTF-8 decoding so that
> it is easy to render any UTF-8 string.
>
> Since the FreeType binding may be useful for purposes unrelated to
> OpenGL, it is also available as a separate project [3]; however, it
> currently has no own versioning scheme and no documentation and is
> simply synchronized with the OpenGLAda repository. The binding is not
> complete; it only wraps the parts that were necessary to use it with
> OpenGL. This may improve in the future.
>
> The current OpenGLAda release is available as tag of its repository [1].
>
>  [1]: https://github.com/flyx/OpenGLAda/releases
>  [2]: http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de/ada/strings_edit.htm
>  [3]: https://github.com/flyx/FreeTypeAda
>
> --
> Regards,
> Felix Krause

Just a note to mention that the fragment shader for rendering fonts needs a discard line so that the glBlendFunc works normally.  I added:
if( colour.a < 0.1 ) discard;
...but maybe you can determine a cutoff value that is more than a guess.
The consequence for NOT doing this is that the glyph backgrounds are sometimes visible, depending on the glBlendFunc parameters.
Rod