* New Version of AVLAda9x
@ 1994-10-27 15:23 Ricardo V. Lopes
From: Ricardo V. Lopes @ 1994-10-27 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am pleased to inform that the new version of AVLAda9x is available
by anonymous ftp at ajpo.sei.cmu.edu (public/dev-tool/compiler).

Since I have received many requests, Version 1.91 of AVLAda9X is being
released with a development environment with the following  features:

            -multi-text full screen editor
            -syntax templates
            -help on the environment and on the Ada Reference Manual 5.0

Have fun!

Arthur Vargas Lopes
Rua Inhandui 303, Ap204
90820-170 Porto Alegre - RS Brazil
e-mail: 34U3IQN@CMUVM.BITNET

* Re: New Version of AVLAda9x
@ 1994-10-28 13:00 ` Alan &
From: Alan & @ 1994-10-28 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

 >> I am pleased to inform that the new version of AVLAda9x is available
 >> by anonymous ftp at ajpo.sei.cmu.edu (public/dev-tool/compiler).

 >> Since I have received many requests, Version 1.91 of AVLAda9X is being
 >> released with a development environment with the following  features:

 >>             -multi-text full screen editor
 >>             -syntax templates
 >>             -help on the environment and on the Ada Reference Manual 5.0

Pardon the dumb question, but what exactly is "AVLAda9x"?  How does it
compare to GNAT 9x?

Alan

* Re: New Version of AVLAda9x
@ 1994-11-01  4:48   ` Michael Feldman
From: Michael Feldman @ 1994-11-01  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <KAPLAN.94Oct28090040@itchy.cs.umass.edu>,
Alan & <kaplan@cs.umass.edu> wrote:

>Pardon the dumb question, but what exactly is "AVLAda9x"?  How does it
>compare to GNAT 9x?

The "AVL" stands for Arthur Vargas Lopes. Arthur got his doctorate at
GW in 1992, under my supervision. He is the author of much of the
original SmallAda/DOS, and of the editor and help engine in GW-Ada/Ed-DOS.

AVLAda9x is a project he has developed on his own since he returned to
Brazil. It is a fast compiler for a subset of Ada 9X, generating
SmallAda-ish P-code which is then interpreted. The subset is growing;
as was the case with SmallAda, Arthur concentrated on concurrency issues
before encapsulation and modularity. His system has passed a number
(I do not know how many) of the ACVC-9X-basic tests, and he has
successfully compiled most of the examples from my intoductory
Ada textbook (Feldman/Koffman).

The editor/environment in this system is very similar to SmallAda and
GW-Ada/Ed-DOS. When Arthur sent this stuff up to me, I encouraged
him to put it on the net to get feedback and exposure. It is a long way
from full Ada 9X, but its subset is growing every day.

Arthur intends this as an educational system, with which neophytes
can get started with _very_ low investment - like SmallAda, it will run
on a 286 (even Ada/Ed requires a 386/486).

GNAT, on the other hand, is much more than an educational project;
it is a real compiler that uses the gcc back end to produce real
executables. There's not much to compare - we are talking about
an apple and an orange here.

My only connection to Arthur's nice little system is that Arthur
was my student and we developed a couple of other neat things
(SmallAda, GW-Ada/Ed) together. He feels kind of isolated in Brazil,
and would love to get feedback from y'all by e-mail. Give it a try.

Mike Feldman
Michael B. Feldman -  chair, SIGAda Education Working Group
The George Washington University -  Washington, DC 20052 USA
202-994-5919 (voice) - 202-994-0227 (fax) - mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Internet)
         Ada on the World-Wide Web: http://lglwww.epfl.ch/Ada/
"Non illegitimi carborundum." (Don't let the bastards grind you down.)

* Re: New Version of AVLAda9x
@ 1994-11-04 14:52     ` James Hopper
From: James Hopper @ 1994-11-04 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <394hat$jj6@felix.seas.gwu.edu> Michael Feldman,
mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu writes:
>Arthur intends this as an educational system, with which neophytes
>can get started with _very_ low investment - like SmallAda, it will run
>on a 286 (even Ada/Ed requires a 386/486).
Mike i tried it on my mac 8100 under softwindows and it compains that i
don't
have a 386 and exists when i try to run it.  If there is a way to run it
on
286 i would like to hear it!

best jim

* Re: New Version of AVLAda9x
@ 1994-11-11 22:33       ` Michael Feldman
From: Michael Feldman @ 1994-11-11 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <39dhsb$7dr@dayuc.dayton.saic.com>,
James Hopper  <hopperj@dayton.saic.com> wrote:
>In article <394hat$jj6@felix.seas.gwu.edu> Michael Feldman,
>mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu writes:
>>Arthur intends this as an educational system, with which neophytes
>>can get started with _very_ low investment - like SmallAda, it will run
>>on a 286 (even Ada/Ed requires a 386/486).
>Mike i tried it on my mac 8100 under softwindows and it compains that i
>don't
>have a 386 and exists when i try to run it.  If there is a way to run it
>on
>286 i would like to hear it!

Sorry all. I was wrong. I checked with Arthur and indeed it requires at
least a 386. Too bad...