From: "Jeffrey D. Cherry" <jdcherry@utech.net>
Subject: Re: Exception Handling
Date: 2000/06/01
Date: 2000-06-01T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Preben Randhol wrote:

> Would it be OK to trap an erronious entry (like "2.3W-4") with an
> exception or would you make an extra check before trying to convert the
> string to a float (or the appropriate class).

This, in my opinion, is one of those cases where it is better to trap an
exception than code a specific routine to parse floating point numbers.
However, I would use something like Ada.Float_Text_IO (for the standard float
type) or an appropriate instance of Ada.Text_IO.Float_IO to attempt the
conversion using:
  procedure Get(From : in String; Item : out Num; Last : out Positive);
In this case I would read the input string, extract the delimited string that
should contain the floating point number, and then use that slice in the
call to Get.  To trap the exception, I would use either a block statement or
create a special subprogram like the following:

procedure Get_Float(St : in string; Value : out float; Is_Valid : out boolean)
is
   Last : positive;
begin -- Get_Float
   Ada.Float_Text_IO.Get(St, Value, Last);
   Is_Valid := true;
exception
   when others =>
      Is_Valid := false;
end Get_Float;

The drawback here is that I have no specific information regarding what was
wrong with the input.  The good thing is that I don't have to write a lengthy
subprogram to parse the floating point number and this provides the readability
that I'm seeking.  It also uses the exception Data_Error if there is something
wrong with the input format or the input could not be converted to the
type float.  This avoids the problem of a suppressed constraint check, which
some compilers use as the default.

There are situations where I would want to write a validation routine that
does not depend on the standard library I/O packages.  One obvious example
would be an application targeted for an embedded computer.  In these cases,
the Ada run-time library (such as Text_IO and its children) are very limited
or not available.  In this case I would write my own validation subprogram
to parse the input string; probably something like a small finite state
machine.  Of course, I'm moving off our original example here since we assumed
that I/O was available through standard input and standard output, and we're
validating input from a user-input string.  But you get the idea of the
situations where I would and would not use an exception to validate input.

--
Regards,
Jeffrey D. Cherry