* Re: Ada parraler programming
@ 2000-05-28  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-05-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <8gro1m$1fv$1@news.onet.pl>,
  "Piotr" <pierrek_@priv4.onet.pl> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> In Ada 95 the standard mechanism to program parralel
application
> is to use partitions. Do you know any other possibilities?

Tasking is the normal method for parallel semantics in
Ada. Partitions are used for *distributed* applications.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: Ada parraler programming
@ 2000-05-28  0:00 ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2000-05-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>In Ada 95 the standard mechanism to program parralel application
>is to use partitions. Do you know any other possibilities?
  Tasking is probably used a lot more than partitions.

>I heard something about sockets in Ada, do u know any good www
  Two programs can communicate via sockets, or serial ports, or disk
files, regardless of whether they are coded in Ada or anything else.
You might look at www.adapower.com for some code to simplify your
use of sockets from an Ada program.

* Ada parraler programming
@ 2000-05-28  0:00 Piotr
From: Piotr @ 2000-05-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

In Ada 95 the standard mechanism to program parralel application
is to use partitions. Do you know any other possibilities?

I heard something about sockets in Ada, do u know any good www
page about it? any others interesting www sites about parallel
programming u could recommend?

if u could, send me a copy to my mailbox

thanks a lot for help and sorry for my bad english

Piotr

* Re: Ada parraler programming
@ 2000-05-29  0:00 ` Gisle S�lensminde
From: Gisle S�lensminde @ 2000-05-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <8gro1m$1fv$1@news.onet.pl>, Piotr wrote:
>Hi!
>
>In Ada 95 the standard mechanism to program parralel application
>is to use partitions. Do you know any other possibilities?
>
>I heard something about sockets in Ada, do u know any good www
>page about it? any others interesting www sites about parallel
>programming u could recommend?
>
>if u could, send me a copy to my mailbox
>
>thanks a lot for help and sorry for my bad english

There are several ways of doing parallel programming in Ada 95,
among these are:

- On multiprocessor machines with multithreaded operating systems,
  a multitasked program will often run on several procesors in
  parallel. This model can be used on machines like SGI Origin
  machines, Solaris, Linux, and probably Windows NT. It is typically
  used for a small number of processors (typically less than 10).
  The compiler must support native threads on the OS. GNAT supports
  both models, but the OS threads is default in most cases.

- Use of the distributed system annex. This model is probably best
  suited for workstations in a network.

- Use a system like MPI, OpenMP or similar, like you would in programming
  languages like C. This typically require a binding to a C or
  Fortran API.

There are also several other ways. Some parallel machines use
the SIMD model, and in worst case this requere a special programming
language. This is not so common any longer. All in all the way of doing
parallell programs depends on which kind of computer system you have.

--
Gisle S�lensminde ( gisle@ii.uib.no )

ln -s /dev/null ~/.netscape/cookies

* Re: Ada parraler programming