From: "Dan'l Miller" <optikos@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Generic library design
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2018 08:32:05 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2018-04-12T08:32:05-07:00	[thread overview]

On Friday, April 6, 2018 at 9:32:30 PM UTC-5, Randy Brukardt wrote:
> Note that argubly sharing based on generic parameters is (was?) patented and
> not usable by implementers without legal issues.

Would you know any clues on how to track that patent down?  Assignee corporation?  Inventors?  Patent number?  Btw, if it isn't RR Software and that patent isn't decades old, then either they patented a significantly different technique or Janus Ada's long-standing capability on this topic clearly invalidates their patent as their mere mimicking of long-standing & widely-disseminated existing practice within Janus Ada, assuming that decades old versions of publicly-for-sale Janus Ada are still extant and still execute.

Perhaps on a different note, I see that Oracle has been quite active in recent years regarding the application for patents in the parameterized-type conceptual-space regarding compilers.  Apparently a strategy over there is to try to assure that only Java has all the cool toys in their toybox, leaving Ada, C++, OCaml, C#, and so forth with older-era technology for 20 years.  One inventor's name keeps recurring on nearly every one of those patents.