From: "Marin D. Condic" <mcondic-nospam@quadruscorp.com>
Subject: Re: Nontrivial examples of C interface with Ada
Date: 2000/05/26
Date: 2000-05-26T13:56:22+00:00	[thread overview]

tmoran@bix.com wrote:
>   Even though your code now looks Ada-ish and has strong typing, exceptions,
> etc. you will still be operating at a very low, C-ish, level of abstraction,
> Will you, for instance, use the OS'es semaphore function calls, or use
> Ada protected records?  Callbacks via procedure access values, or by overiding
> tagged record primitives?  Suppose you want to open a socket connection,
> send some html text, and close it.  Do you really want the ugly details
> of socket handling, or do you want a procedure Open, procedure Put, and
> procedure Close?

Ultimately, I'd build that sort of stuff on top of the binding. What I
think constitutes a "binding" is just the interface to some existing
body of software. Yeah, it will look C-ish, but that's what it is. From
there, you have to define your own environment to do things with a true
Ada flavor. Until someone writes an OS in Ada..... :-)

MDC
Marin David Condic - Quadrus Corporation - http://www.quadruscorp.com/
Send Replies To: m c o n d i c @ q u a d r u s c o r p . c o m
Visit my web site at:  http://www.mcondic.com/

"I'd trade it all for just a little more"
    --  Charles Montgomery Burns, [4F10]