From: "Marin D. Condic" <mcondic-nospam@quadruscorp.com>
Subject: Re: Array of bytes type
Date: 2000/05/22
Date: 2000-05-22T17:00:48+00:00	[thread overview]

Ken Garlington wrote:
> I don't think LM builds a 1750 anymore, but I could be wrong.

It's been a while since I've played the deep-space-microprocessor game,
so I'm a little out of touch. At one time, they were making them. Maybe
they came up with a better alternative?

> The "new" game in town is to build 32-bit processors that emulate the 1750
> ISA. Aviation Week had a brief story on this not too long ago. I don't know
> if they've sold very many. Raytheon (nee TI) has a 1750 design, but I don't
> know if it comes in a rad-hard version.

By definition, the space-processor business is a very small niche
market. Nobody is going to sell a lot of a chip that will fit that
niche. The best we could hope for is for someone to take a commercial
processor and make it rad-hard. Of course there would still be
weaknesses in commercial instruction sets. Maybe we'd have to learn to
live with it.

I'd be disappointed to see 1750 emulation on a 32 bit processor because
I think that the industry should move into the new millenium and start
building the infrastructure for the next generation. (Someone had to
bite the bullet and build compilers for the 1750, eh?) But I suppose
there are lots of legacy systems that need the capability, so it has a
reason to exist.

MDC
Marin David Condic - Quadrus Corporation - http://www.quadruscorp.com/
Send Replies To: m c o n d i c @ q u a d r u s c o r p . c o m
Visit my web site at:  http://www.mcondic.com/

"I'd trade it all for just a little more"
    --  Charles Montgomery Burns, [4F10]