From: kinder@inteloa.intel.com (David B. Kinder)
Subject: 8-Bit characters for Ada
Date: 15 Nov 88 00:03:37 GMT	[thread overview]

AI-420 (submitted over 3 years ago) brought up the issue of an an 8-bit
character type.  This should be a hot issue with non-US Ada customers who
should reasonably insist on support for their (non-English) characters in
STRING variables and in TEXT_IO.  I've seen packages that define a new
extended character type, however this character type can't be used with
TEXT_IO, so a whole new (and non-standard) I/O package must be used.

Are there Ada users concerned with this problem?  Have there been any
further thoughts by the LMC/ARG on supporting 8-bit characters?  Can we get
some definitive ruling on AI-420?  What do you Ada developers think about
direct language support for 8-bit characters?

-- David Kinder, BiiN