From: "Marc A. Criley" <marc.a.criley@lmco.com>
Subject: Re: Overlay allowability
Date: 2000/05/10
Date: 2000-05-10T16:21:38+00:00	[thread overview]

Okay, if there's a simple answer to this I'm going to look really dumb
for asking...but I'll take that chance :-)

My goal has been to serialize an arbitrary object (the type of which is
provided as a generic formal parameter) into a Stream_Element_Array for
use with the AdaSockets package.

I've been all over the RM95 looking for a nice, clean way to do this,
and have not been able to find one.  It appears then to come down to
working with Unchecked_Conversion or the 'Address overlay approach (the
latter of which was provided as the example in my original posting).

If there's a straightforward way to accomplish what I'm _really_ trying
to do, I would very much like to hear it!  And performance does matter,
since I want to minimize socket blocking.

Oh, and to forestall the "Why not use the DSA?" question, the answer is
that the required post-processing associated with GLADE just won't fly
with clients, so I need to use the basic client/server model.

Marc A. Criley