From: "DuckE" <nospam_steved@pacifier.com>
Subject: Re: financial computations
Date: 2000/05/09
Date: 2000-05-09T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

> With 64-bit mantissae available in several programming languages,
> including Ada according to GNAT, if I know the rules, I can
> approximate this stuff for a million lifetimes before I lose
> a cent.  Realistically, I expect that when I do lose that penny
> there will be some character at hand who will point out the
> error and gloat without mercy. I would hate to deny him that
> pleasure.  It's like playing solitaire.  If I always did it
> according to the book, what would the kibitzers do?  How could
> I sustain my humility without at least one grievous error per
> eon?

I'm speaking out of my field, but I vaguely remember learning something
about this in college (more than 15 years ago).  As I recall obtaining the
"correct" answer in financial calculations has as much (or more) to do with
convention, than with precise mathematical results.

I wonder if there's a newsgroup alt.bean-counter.calculations?

;-)

SteveD