* Re: help for my project
@ 2000-05-09  0:00   ` nickerson
From: nickerson @ 2000-05-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <8f909s$teo$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com> writes:

..student plea & Robert's "denial_of_service(homework)" snipped;

|>P.S. It's interesting that these appeals for help on homework
|>assignments seem to come primarily from Australia, I wonder
|>what's going on?

maybe Australia is the only place with enough fortitude to still
be teaching Ada to students;

ok, ok, I know I exagerate; but when one listens to very bright
University Professor Phds stand around and tell you that Ada is
"not what the students need", "not what the students what", "not
what industry wants", "provides no code base for students to work
on" & blah blah blah - well it is just discouraging;

so just to leave this on an upbeat note: Mike Feldman's URL of
Colleges & Universities teaching Ada as a foundation language;

http://www.seas.gwu.edu/~mfeldman/ada-foundation.html

--bn (Bart Nickerson)
nickerson@pundit.ds.boeing.com
(206) 662-0183

* Re: help for my project
@ 2000-05-09  0:00 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-05-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gerald Ang wrote:

> Help is needed for my assignment. Below is a copy of the specificaton
> code, please help with the Procedure Add.

Ahhh, the sweet smell of springtime in comp.lang.ada. The birds are
signing, the flowers are blooming,  college finals are around the corner,
and the students are asking us to do their homework. :-)

--
T.E.D.

Home - mailto:dennison@telepath.com  Work - mailto:dennison@ssd.fsi.com
WWW  - http://www.telepath.com/dennison/Ted/TED.html  ICQ  - 10545591

* Re: help for my project
@ 2000-05-09  0:00   ` Gerald Ang
From: Gerald Ang @ 2000-05-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Ted Dennison

I'm not asking anyone to do my assignment for me!!!! I'm asking for
help......

I'm pretty confuse with the specification.....should I use arrays, digital
search trees or link list???

I have no idea where to start??? please help.

thanx
gerald

* Re: help for my project
@ 2000-05-09  0:00     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-05-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3918276C.4E285C4E@student.ecu.edu.au>,
  tmang@student.ecu.edu.au wrote:
> Dear Ted Dennison
>
> I'm not asking anyone to do my assignment for me!!!! I'm
asking for
> help......
>
> I'm pretty confuse with the specification.....should I use
arrays, digital
> search trees or link list???
>
> I have no idea where to start??? please help.

Figuring out where to start is *definitely* your part of the
job. We can help with details once you finish this part of
the assignment! I suggest looking in algorithms books etc
if you are lost.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: help for my project
@ 2000-05-09  0:00     ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-05-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3918276C.4E285C4E@student.ecu.edu.au>,
  tmang@student.ecu.edu.au wrote:

> I'm not asking anyone to do my assignment for me!!!! I'm asking for
> help......
>
> I'm pretty confuse with the specification.....should I use arrays,
> digital search trees or link list???
>
> I have no idea where to start??? please help.

None of these issues have a thing to do with Ada, though!

There are probably newsgroups they would be appropriate to. (Perhaps
software engineering groups) But you are paying your school thousands of
dollars to hire instructors and teaching assistants. Why not get some
value for your money and go ask them for help? They ought to be able to
do a much better job than anyone on usenet, as they can actually
physically interact with you in real-time. Plus they *wrote* the
assignment, so they certainly understand it better than anyone else can
hearing it third-hand.

I'm not trying to be discouraging. We happily help students and others
who have specific questions about Ada. eg: "Why does this statement keep
blowing up?" "I'm using the following code to print strings, but how can
I print out strings without trailing spaces?" If you get a bit further
and get stuck on an Ada-specific issue like that, this is the place to
come.

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* help for my project
@ 2000-05-09  0:00 Gerald Ang
From: Gerald Ang @ 2000-05-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Help is needed for my assignment. Below is a copy of the specificaton
code, please help with the Procedure Add.

with Ada.Text_IO;

with Unchecked_Deallocation;

generic

type Symbol is (<>);

package Symbolized_Search_Tree is

type Tree is private;

type Symbol_Array is array(Integer range <>) of Symbol;

type Sequence is access Symbol_Array;

type Sequence_Array is array(Integer range <>) of Sequence;

package Symbol_IO is new Ada.Text_IO.Enumeration_IO(Enum => Symbol);

procedure Add(A_Tree: in out Tree;
                            Symbols: in Symbol_Array;
                            Result: out Integer);

  -- adds Symbols' non-shared elements to A_Tree and sets marker
  --
  -- if no Symbols
  -- then
  --   Result:= -1
  --   return
  -- end if
  --
 -- if no A_Tree nodes
  -- then
  --   create root node, non-leaf nodes, leaf node
  --   assign Symbols' elements to root node, non-leaf nodes
  --   assign True to leaf node marker
  --   Result:= number of nodes created
  --   return
  -- end if
  --
  -- determine number of Symbols' elements contained in A_Tree
  --
  -- if A_Tree contains all Symbols' elements and True marker
  -- then
  --   Result:= -2
  --   return
  -- end if
  --
  -- if A_Tree contains all Symbols' elements and False marker
  -- then
  --   assign True to marker
  --   Result:= 0
  --   return
  -- end if
  --
  -- if A_Tree contains some of Symbols' elements
  -- then
  --   create non-leaf nodes, leaf node
  --   assign Symbols' elements to root node, non-leaf nodes
  --   assign True to leaf node marker
  --   Result:= number of nodes augmented/created
  --   return
  -- end if

private

  type Node(Length: Integer);

  type Tree is access Node;

  type Tree_Array is array (Integer range <>) of Tree;

  type Node(Length: Integer) is
    record
      Marker: Boolean;
      Symbols: Symbol_Array(1..Length);
      Subtrees: Tree_Array(1..Length);
    end record;
  -- a leaf node has Length = 0 and Marker = True
  -- a partial-leaf node has Length > 0 and Marker = True
  -- a non-leaf node has Length > 0 and Marker = False
  -- for 1 <= I <= Length-1, Node.Symbols(I) < Node.Symbols(I+1)

  Null_Tree: constant Tree:= null;

  procedure Deallocate is

    new Unchecked_Deallocation(Object=>Node,
                                                    Name=>Tree);

end Symbolized_Search_Tree;

* Re: help for my project
@ 2000-05-09  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-05-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3917F194.F6C1BB73@student.ecu.edu.au>,
  tmang@student.ecu.edu.au wrote:
> Help is needed for my assignment. Below is a copy of the
specificaton
> code, please help with the Procedure Add.

Well the specification is completely clear here, and presumably
you are not asking us to code this for you. So what ARE you
asking.

If you are confused on the algorithm, this is not the place
to ask.

If you are confused on a *specific* point of Ada semantics or
syntax, then perhaps we can help, but we need to know exactly
what your problem is.

@ 2000-05-09  0:00 ` John English
From: John English @ 2000-05-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gerald Ang wrote:
> Help is needed for my assignment. Below is a copy of the specificaton
> code, please help with the Procedure Add.

Since procedure Add is the only thing you need to implement, and since
the spec includes some pretty clear pseudocode, what sort of help do
you need? Is the problem that you don't understand the pseudocode?
Or is it that you don't know where to put the semicolons to turn it
into Ada?

 Senior Lecturer           | http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je
 Dept. of Computing        | ** NON-PROFIT CD FOR CS STUDENTS **
 University of Brighton    |    -- see http://burks.bton.ac.uk

* Re: help for my project
@ 2000-05-10  0:00     ` yahoo
From: yahoo @ 2000-05-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

To be honest, there are quite a number of websites around showing you what
exactly a digital search tree is. Although it's not in Ada, but you will get
the meaning.

Stop asking questions like these or the guys here will think that ECU
students are useless...

* Re: help for my project
@ 2000-05-10  0:00     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-05-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3918B4EF.50EE66A3@research.canon.com.au>,
  Geoff Bull <geoff@research.canon.com.au> wrote:

> We're the only one's smart enough to be still teaching Ada!
:-)

Actually I only know of a handful of universities in Australia
teaching Ada as a foundation language, is it really that
universal? Certainly worldwide there are many universities
all over the place that do teach Ada, a lot of them in the
US (yes, there are even more that don't sure :-)

@ 2000-05-10  0:00   ` Jeff Carter
From: Jeff Carter @ 2000-05-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Dennison wrote:
> Ahhh, the sweet smell of springtime in comp.lang.ada. The birds are
> signing, the flowers are blooming,  college finals are around the corner,
> and the students are asking us to do their homework. :-)

Actually, it's autumn in Australia ...

--
Jeff Carter
"We burst our pimples at you."

* Re: help for my project
@ 2000-05-10  0:00   ` Geoff Bull
From: Geoff Bull @ 2000-05-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2000-05-11  0:00     ` wv12
From: wv12 @ 2000-05-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

MIT teaches Scheme to CS freshmen. Does that make Scheme the
best language?

@ 2000-05-13  0:00       ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2000-05-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <8fahjr$mj6$1@nnrp1.deja.com>, Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com> writes:
> In article <3918B4EF.50EE66A3@research.canon.com.au>,
>   Geoff Bull <geoff@research.canon.com.au> wrote:
>
>> We're the only one's smart enough to be still teaching Ada!
> :-)
>

> Actually I only know of a handful of universities in Australia
> teaching Ada as a foundation language, is it really that
> universal? Certainly worldwide there are many universities
> all over the place that do teach Ada, a lot of them in the
> US (yes, there are even more that don't sure :-)

Perhaps Australian students are the only ones who are confused.

Or perhaps all students are confused and Australian students
are the only ones who _know_ they are confused.

Or perhaps Austrailian students are more honest, and their
Internet circuits are not overloaded going to Napster.