* Re: Verdix Corp ADA-language development systems
@ 1988-08-26 22:05 Erland Sommarskog
From: Erland Sommarskog @ 1988-08-26 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

David E. Emery (dee@linus.UUCP) writes:
>Verdix is 1 of only 2 compilers that that I know to implement code
>sharing of generic bodies.  Furthermore, Verdix does NOT require that
>the body of a generic be compiled before its instantiation.  It is
>possible to write mutually dependent generics (each generic
>instantiates the other) in Verdix, where most compilers will gag on
>such code.

We're having 5.41 of VADS here for VAX/4.3BSD, and I have written
several error reports on VADS, and more than one of them was on
generics. For instance, the debugger couldn't find the source for
generic procudure within a generic package. Even more amazing was
to find a generic package to be dependent of its instantiator!

A good point is that if you change a generic body, instantiators
doesn't get invalidated, like they do with DEC/Ada. But the
recompilation takes a very long time.

Another problem I have had with VADS are the DIANA files. They
get BIG, and *eats* diskquota. (And a.rm doesn't clear away old
instantiations.) To make things worse, units from other libraries
are cached in a local directory. Tip if you plan to use VADS: Get
your own disk, and don't have any quota.
--
Erland Sommarskog
ENEA Data, Stockholm           - Why are Macintosh screens so small?

* Verdix Corp ADA-language development systems
@ 1988-08-19 17:04 Robert J. Boulanger
From: Robert J. Boulanger @ 1988-08-19 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello:

I'm looking for some information about ADA development systems from
Verdix Corporation.  Does anyone use or know anything about their
products?  I'm especially interested in their documentation.  How good
is it, and recommnedations do you make for improving it?  How is
Verdix's customer support and training?

Thanks ahead of time for any information.

--
Bob Boulanger
bobb@elrond.calcomp.com