From: sommar@enea.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Subject: Re: Verdix Corp ADA-language development systems
Date: 26 Aug 88 22:05:33 GMT	[thread overview]

David E. Emery (dee@linus.UUCP) writes:
>Verdix is 1 of only 2 compilers that that I know to implement code
>sharing of generic bodies.  Furthermore, Verdix does NOT require that
>the body of a generic be compiled before its instantiation.  It is
>possible to write mutually dependent generics (each generic
>instantiates the other) in Verdix, where most compilers will gag on
>such code.

We're having 5.41 of VADS here for VAX/4.3BSD, and I have written
several error reports on VADS, and more than one of them was on
generics. For instance, the debugger couldn't find the source for
generic procudure within a generic package. Even more amazing was
to find a generic package to be dependent of its instantiator!

A good point is that if you change a generic body, instantiators
doesn't get invalidated, like they do with DEC/Ada. But the
recompilation takes a very long time.

Another problem I have had with VADS are the DIANA files. They
get BIG, and *eats* diskquota. (And a.rm doesn't clear away old
instantiations.) To make things worse, units from other libraries
are cached in a local directory. Tip if you plan to use VADS: Get
your own disk, and don't have any quota.
--
Erland Sommarskog
ENEA Data, Stockholm           - Why are Macintosh screens so small?