From: "Marin D. Condic" <mcondic-nospam@quadruscorp.com>
Subject: Re: financial computations
Date: 2000/05/09
Date: 2000-05-09T18:46:13+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert Dewar wrote:
> What artithmetic do you use in these functions?

Take a look and see. Most stuff is done with decimal types, but some
computations take floating point. (Generic parameters, of course.)
There's places where it makes sense.

> Note that the use of floating-point for many financial
> computations, e.g. interest rate calculations for many
> instruments, is illegal.

Goodness! The Software Police are going to come get me now! Where can I
hide? :-)

I make no claims as to the appropriateness or fitness for a given
purpose any of the stuff I've put out there may have. If there are legal
requirements that must be satisfied for what you are implementing, then
I guess you need to make sure you satisfy them. My code might serve as
an example of how the computations should be done.

I suppose I should put some disclaimer, etc. on that web page. Maybe
even some licensing stuff. But so few people seem to be using any of it
that I have not bothered.

BTW: If you look over the computations and have suggestions for
improvements, feel free to send them to me.

MDC
Marin David Condic - Quadrus Corporation - http://www.quadruscorp.com/
Send Replies To: m c o n d i c @ q u a d r u s c o r p . c o m
Visit my web site at:  http://www.mcondic.com/

"I'd trade it all for just a little more"
    --  Charles Montgomery Burns, [4F10]