From: Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com>
Subject: Re: Application in Ada
Date: 2000/05/09
Date: 2000-05-09T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Preben Randhol wrote:

> >  Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> wrote:
> >
> >> But since everyone seems to love to come up with these suggestions, I
> >> will mention that one of the ideas I had was for a meta-project which
> >> would list good project ideas that could be persued. The focus would be
> >> on filling empty software niches with Ada-written OpenSource software.
> Or an e-mail filter program that is easy to set up and can be trusted
> not to delete your mail. I use procmail at the moment, but procmail
> isn't very easy for a lot of people. Haveing a powerful filter that
> could remove SPAM mail and possibly viruses would have been just great.

For that purpose, Netscape's filters work just fine for me. I have them throw
suspected junk in a "Junk" folder, which I can look through at my leisure.
Spam's actually kinda fun, when it isn't cluttering up your inbox. :-)
Anything with an unexpected attachment type gets tossed in there too, which
would take care of email viruses.

Procmail is a little more powerful, but that power comes at a rather steep
price. The only thing I've ever missed it for is the ability to redirect a
selected portion of my email to a different address when I'm out of town (and
thus my email reader/internet connection may not be up).

However, if a good free software web browser ever does get built, I suppose a
free software email/newsgroup tool would be needed too. Ditto with chat (this
one may be covered, though).

--
T.E.D.

Home - mailto:dennison@telepath.com  Work - mailto:dennison@ssd.fsi.com