* Software Development
@ 2000-04-27  0:00 Chris
From: Chris @ 2000-04-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

What is the Software Capability Maturity Model and how can I find out
information on it?

* Re: Software Development
@ 2000-04-27  0:00 ` Ken Garlington
From: Ken Garlington @ 2000-04-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Chris" <brownen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What is the Software Capability Maturity Model and how can I find out
> information on it?

One good place to start:

http://www.sei.cmu.edu/cmm/cmm.html

* Re: Software Development
@ 2000-04-28  0:00   ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-04-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article
<Pine.A41.3.96-heb-2.07.1000428135012.65588A-100000@pluto.mscc.huji.ac.i
l>,
  Ehud Lamm <mslamm@mscc.huji.ac.il> wrote:

> In order to move from each level to the next you have to do have
> specified practices (like cofig mngmt etc.)

Bribing..er..paying the auditors to perform a "pre-audit" doesn't hurt
either. :-)

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: Software Development
@ 2000-04-28  0:00 ` Ehud Lamm
From: Ehud Lamm @ 2000-04-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, Chris wrote:

|What is the Software Capability Maturity Model and how can I find out
|information on it?

The CMM is a standard that tries to capture good software engineering
practices. It is a five layer structure, from completley unstructured
development to repeatable and measurable production.
In order to move from each level to the next you have to do have specified
practices (like cofig mngmt etc.)

You can find out much more at the SEI:
 Linkname: Software Engineering Institute (SEI) Home Page

(there are also discussion on comp.software-eng)

Some links can be find from the links page on my site (go to Ada/Misc.
Pages, and do a find fro "cmm". Alas the site seems to be not functioning
at this time, but I hope it is a temporary problem, solved by the time you
read this).

Ehud Lamm mslamm@mscc.huji.ac.il
http://purl.oclc.org/NET/ehudlamm <== My home on the web
Check it out and subscribe to the E-List- for interesting essays and more!

* Re: Software Development
@ 2000-05-03  0:00     ` Ken Garlington
From: Ken Garlington @ 2000-05-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ted Dennison" <dennison@telepath.com> wrote in message
> In article <20000503053840.16816.00000977@ng-fz1.aol.com>,
>   anthonygair@aol.comremoveme (ANTHONY GAIR) wrote:
> >
> > Its the slightly better (in my eyes) Software engineering institute
> model of
> > iso9000 with improvement mechanisms
>
> Actually, they are two very different things (although by the time it
> gets down to Joe-employee, it sure looks the same: "Over there are the
> books we just made that you tell the auditor you work from.")

Absolutely not! For ISO 9000, you have to make web pages (or equivalent) to
show the auditor, not books. Otherwise, how can you claim that everyone has
access to the current version of the procedures that no one uses?

* Re: Software Development
@ 2000-05-03  0:00 ` ANTHONY GAIR
From: ANTHONY GAIR @ 2000-05-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Its the slightly better (in my eyes) Software engineering institute model of
iso9000 with improvement mechanisms

  the web address would be www.sei.org

companies heavily involved in it are motorola a CMM level 5 organisation
Are ADA and linux a good combination :-
www.remotely.useful.com

* Re: Software Development
@ 2000-05-03  0:00   ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-05-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2000-05-04  0:00       ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-05-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <xV2Q4.5495$wb7.483001@news.flash.net>,
  "Ken Garlington" <Ken.Garlington@computer.org> wrote:

> "Ted Dennison" <dennison@telepath.com> wrote in message

> > gets down to Joe-employee, it sure looks the same: "Over there are
> > the books we just made that you tell the auditor you work from.")
>
> Absolutely not! For ISO 9000, you have to make web pages (or
> equivalent) to show the auditor, not books. Otherwise, how can you
> claim that everyone has access to the current version of the
> procedures that no one uses?

That's right! I had forgotten about the website. The instructions for
the website were that everyone had to bookmark it and click on all the
links at least once (so that the auditors would see that the link is
underlined in the "visited" color in your browser).

--

@ 2000-05-04  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-05-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <20000503053840.16816.00000977@ng-fz1.aol.com>,
  anthonygair@aol.comremoveme (ANTHONY GAIR) wrote:

> Its the slightly better (in my eyes) Software engineering
institute model of
> iso9000 with improvement mechanisms

I think that's misleading, iso9000 is a quite different
beast. Each has its place in context.

@ 2000-05-04  0:00       ` Wes Groleau
From: Wes Groleau @ 2000-05-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Absolutely not! For ISO 9000, you have to make web pages (or equivalent) to
> show the auditor, not books. Otherwise, how can you claim that everyone has
> access to the current version of the procedures that no one uses?

And then you stick the following label on your forehead:

   "Everything in this space is for reference only"

--
Wes Groleau
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~wgroleau

* Re: Software Development
@ 2000-05-05  0:00         ` Ken Garlington
From: Ken Garlington @ 2000-05-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Wes Groleau" <wwgrol@ftw.rsc.raytheon.com> wrote in message

> > Absolutely not! For ISO 9000, you have to make web pages (or equivalent)
> > show the auditor, not books. Otherwise, how can you claim that everyone
has
> > access to the current version of the procedures that no one uses?
>
> And then you stick the following label on your forehead:
>
>    "Everything in this space is for reference only"

On your forehead, on your filing cabinet, on your bookcase, on your lunch
box...

I _wondered_ if it was the same all over!

* Re: Software Development
@ 2000-05-05  0:00           ` Marin D. Condic
From: Marin D. Condic @ 2000-05-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ken Garlington wrote:

> "Wes Groleau" <wwgrol@ftw.rsc.raytheon.com> wrote in message
> >
> > > Absolutely not! For ISO 9000, you have to make web pages (or equivalent)
> > > show the auditor, not books. Otherwise, how can you claim that everyone
> has
> > > access to the current version of the procedures that no one uses?
> >
> > And then you stick the following label on your forehead:
> >
> >    "Everything in this space is for reference only"
>
> On your forehead, on your filing cabinet, on your bookcase, on your lunch
> box...
>
> I _wondered_ if it was the same all over!

From my experience, this sounds familiar. Of course it is not always as
bad as it might seem. The processes are sometimes followed reasonably
well, if not perfectly. Some organizations actually use the processes
they claim. But from what I've seen in a variety of places, the
procedures can be a formality for the auditors to look at and are
abandoned as soon as the auditors are out of sight or there is even the
slightest amount of schedule pressure.

MDC
Marin David Condic - Quadrus Corporation - http://www.quadruscorp.com/
Send Replies To: m c o n d i c @ q u a d r u s c o r p . c o m
Visit my web site at:  http://www.mcondic.com/

"I'd trade it all for just a little more"
    --  Charles Montgomery Burns, [4F10]

* Re: Software Development
@ 2000-05-07  0:00     ` ANTHONY GAIR
From: ANTHONY GAIR @ 2000-05-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In the interests of furthering arguments for no reason,
CMM is far better than ISO9000 despite being created by the U.S.
ISO inspectors maybe are far easier to fool or bribe.
CMM actually works in a commercial environment for the benefit of the Employee.
I do however admit to stirring and smoking pots.

@ 2000-05-07  0:00       ` Hyman Rosen
From: Hyman Rosen @ 2000-05-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

anthonygair@aol.comremoveme (ANTHONY GAIR) writes:
> CMM is far better than ISO9000 despite being created by the U.S.
> ISO inspectors maybe are far easier to fool or bribe.

Software quality practices should be undertaken voluntarily because an
organization wishes to improve the quality of its processes and code.
Obviously such practices imposed from the outside will lead to nowhere
but the cheating you mention, much as some New York City schoolteachers
helped their students cheat on standardized exams in order to increase
the reputation of their schools and protect their funding.

I understand that there are companies who will buy only from vendors who
promise to abide by some specific quality methodology. This will make
cheating inevitable.

* Re: Software Development
@ 2000-05-08  0:00       ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-05-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <20000507094437.10742.00001809@ng-bj1.aol.com>,
  anthonygair@aol.comremoveme (ANTHONY GAIR) wrote:

> I do however admit to stirring and smoking pots.

There goes your presidential campaign.... :-)

--

@ 2000-05-09  0:00         ` ANTHONY GAIR
From: ANTHONY GAIR @ 2000-05-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Several good friends of mine have informed me that if I should approach any
positions of political power that they would shoot me for the good of
democracy.