From: "Marin D. Condic" <mcondic-nospam@quadruscorp.com>
Subject: Re: Embedded Systems Survey
Date: 2000/05/05
Date: 2000-05-05T15:22:43+00:00	[thread overview]

Ted Dennison wrote:
> When asked in a poll of software developers, either question is liable
> to produce the same answer. Better yet would be to test it somehow (or
> at least poll customers, then check against the implementation
> languages).

Cheaper, faster and better are things that are testable by experiment.
(Maybe and *expensive* experiment, but definitely something you can
measure.) Opinions about what is cheaper, faster, better won't tell you
much. I'd be willing to bet that if you polled 1000 Java programmers
about what is cheaper/faster/better they would say Java. Poll 1000 Cobol
programmers and the answer is likely to be similar. And all those
opinions may be wrong - the answer might be APL or Pascal or something
else.

As a promoter of the use of Ada, I'd like to know a) what do people
prefer, b) why do they prefer it, c) what they dislike and d) why do
they dislike it. Knowing that, we might better market the language to
those who are not currently using it.

MDC
Marin David Condic - Quadrus Corporation - http://www.quadruscorp.com/
Send Replies To: m c o n d i c @ q u a d r u s c o r p . c o m
Visit my web site at:  http://www.mcondic.com/

"I'd trade it all for just a little more"
    --  Charles Montgomery Burns, [4F10]