From: "John Herro" <john@prousa.net>
Subject: Re: Ada compiler in BASIC?
Date: 2000/05/02
Date: 2000-05-02T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

"Richard D Riehle" <laoXhai@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> I think it was in an early issue of Dr. Dobbs.
     You're right.  It was in the January, March, May, and July, 1983 issues
of Dr. Dobbs Journal (issues 75, 77, 79, and 81).  It was a *very* small
subset of Ada - no types defined by the user (no records and no enumeration
types!), no packages, and the non-standard spelling "elseif."  However, it
*was* a good demonstration of hiding; a variable in a subprogram would
properly hide a variable of the same name in its parent.
     It compiled to an intermediate language similar to P-code, which it
then interpreted.  But strangely, the intermediate file had the extension
.COM!  Needless to say, if you typed that file's name without invoking the
interpreter, you crashed the computer.
     Augusta was later translated into Pascal.  I have source in both
GWBasic and Turbo Pascal, in case there are any gluttons for punishment out
there :-)
- John Herro
http://members.aol.com/AdaTutor