* Re: How to terminate the terminal on Gnat under Windows 98 ?
@ 2000-04-22  0:00 ` John English
From: John English @ 2000-04-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephane.Perret

Stephane Perret wrote:
> Is there someone who knows how to hide or disable the terminal window
> you get by running the program you just have made with Gnat under
> Windows 98 ?
>
> The terminal window is very useful when you create programs to see the
> exception which are raised and to do a first debugging, but when you us
> a GUI, like JEWL (http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je/), it is frustrating
> to see this window, now completely unuseful.

This is probably due to my inadvertently leaving in a "with Ada.Text_IO"
in one of the packages (originally there for debugging purposes). There's
a new version of JEWL at http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je/jewl/ which
corrects this (and a couple of minor documentation errors); it has also
been fixed so that it will compile with Gnat 3.10, since a handful of
people who were still using this version contacted me about this (although
by now they've probably all taken my advice and upgraded... ;-)

 Senior Lecturer           | http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je
 Dept. of Computing        | ** NON-PROFIT CD FOR CS STUDENTS **
 University of Brighton    |    -- see http://burks.bton.ac.uk

* Re: How to terminate the terminal on Gnat under Windows 98 ?
@ 2000-04-23  0:00   ` John English
From: John English @ 2000-04-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

John English wrote:
> This is probably due to my inadvertently leaving in a "with Ada.Text_IO"
> in one of the packages (originally there for debugging purposes). There's
> a new version of JEWL at http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je/jewl/ which
> corrects this (and a couple of minor documentation errors); it has also
> been fixed so that it will compile with Gnat 3.10, since a handful of
> people who were still using this version contacted me about this (although
> by now they've probably all taken my advice and upgraded... ;-)

As various people have pointed out, the above advice is incorrect;
the "-mwindows" switch to gnatlink is what makes the console window
vanish (so compile with "gnatmake foo.adb -largs -mwindows").

@ 2000-04-26  0:00 Stephane Perret
From: Stephane Perret @ 2000-04-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everybody,

Is there someone who knows how to hide or disable the terminal window
you get by running the program you just have made with Gnat under
Windows 98 ?

The terminal window is very useful when you create programs to see the
exception which are raised and to do a first debugging, but when you us
a GUI, like JEWL (http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je/), it is frustrating
to see this window, now completely unuseful.

I am sure that there is a way to supress this window (or to hide it),
but I couldn't find it in the doc which comes with Gnat 3.12p (perhaps,
I missed it)...

_________________________________
http://members.xoom.com/s_perret/

* Re: How to terminate the terminal on Gnat under Windows 98 ?
@ 2000-04-26  0:00 ` Jean-Pierre Rosen
From: Jean-Pierre Rosen @ 2000-04-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephane Perret <Stephane.Perret@maths.unine.ch> a �crit dans le message :
39070905.D2B3EA02@maths.unine.ch...
> Hi everybody,
>
> Is there someone who knows how to hide or disable the terminal window
> you get by running the program you just have made with Gnat under
> Windows 98 ?
>

> The terminal window is very useful when you create programs to see the
> exception which are raised and to do a first debugging, but when you us
> a GUI, like JEWL (http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je/), it is frustrating
> to see this window, now completely unuseful.
>
> I am sure that there is a way to supress this window (or to hide it),
> but I couldn't find it in the doc which comes with Gnat 3.12p (perhaps,
> I missed it)...

Maybe this should be in the FAQ...
From a message from Martin Carlisle that I carefully saved some times ago:

You need to specify the -mwindows linker option.  You can do this either
on the command line, or (if using AdaGIDE) via Tools/GNAT Options in
Current Directory, or (my preferred method) add the following to your
main program:

pragma Linker_Options("-mwindows");

           J-P. Rosen (Rosen.Adalog@wanadoo.fr)
Visit Adalog's web site at http://pro.wanadoo.fr/adalog

* Re: How to terminate the terminal on Gnat under Windows 98 ?
@ 2000-04-28  0:00 ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2000-04-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Add the line

pragma Linker_Options ("-mwindows");

or -mwindows on the gnatmake command line.

David Botton