From: "Marin D. Condic" <mcondic-nospam@quadruscorp.com>
Subject: Re: Tasking Models
Date: 2000/04/22
Date: 2000-04-22T21:00:12+00:00	[thread overview]

tmoran@bix.com wrote:
>   Are you sure that with Gnat and Win98 one TCP-blocked Ada task
> will cause blocking of other Ada tasks?  I don't think that should
> happen.  Winsock functions block on a per-thread basis, so the Ada
> run time shouldn't know or care whether a particular thread is
> blocked on TCP IO - the other threads should continue time-slicing.

I have not researched this in-depth. I just wrote a small test program
in which the main program listened for connections and tasks serviced
the connections. The immediate symptom was that the main program hung
waiting for connections while the tasks got starved. I have not had time
to play with this thoroughly, so there may be some error in my code.
However, that was my impression from its behavior - I couldn't get the
tasks to start receiving data once I started listening for the next
connection.

I'm not yet convinced that Win98 does a good job of managing threads.
Perhaps I should try compiling it on WinNT.

MDC
Marin David Condic - Quadrus Corporation - http://www.quadruscorp.com/
Send Replies To: m c o n d i c @ q u a d r u s c o r p . c o m
Visit my web site at:  http://www.mcondic.com/

"I'd trade it all for just a little more"
    --  Charles Montgomery Burns, [4F10]