From: "Marin D. Condic" <mcondic-nospam@quadruscorp.com>
Subject: Re: Tasking Models
Date: 2000/04/22
Date: 2000-04-22T14:07:36+00:00	[thread overview]

Simon Wright wrote:
> That sounds like a design I would lose sleep over .. I guess if you
> always write complete messages you would probably be OK, but I've
> usually used the "write the message descriptor, then write the
> message" style. Still, you really need to see inside that networking
> stack.

Well, the software works at the present moment and under the current
conditions, so quite possibly, it is safe. All messages are sent with a
single call - they are not sent in chunks. (At least at the application
level - TCP/IP, of course, can fragment the message.) So I guess as long
as its sent all in one swell foop, we may be all right.

It's not what I would have built, but you often don't have that luxury.
The design is in place and (mostly) working successfully. My inclination
is to leave it alone, but since we will eventually be changing
compilers, it is very important to know what assumptions are critical to
its operation.

MDC
Marin David Condic - Quadrus Corporation - http://www.quadruscorp.com/
Send Replies To: m c o n d i c @ q u a d r u s c o r p . c o m
Visit my web site at:  http://www.mcondic.com/

"I'd trade it all for just a little more"
    --  Charles Montgomery Burns, [4F10]