From: �puma@hannover.sgh-net.de
Subject: Re: Article:  The shift away from user directed projects
Date: 2000/03/29
Date: 2000-03-29T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

I feel you analysis pretty interesting but also as a kind of plea
(?, word) to understand the industry's problematic situation
when guessing or anticipating future directions in hardware
and/ or software development.

Maybe, a possible solution to these problems could be based
on a different approach - transfering solutions from industries
that are 'older' than computer indusrties, but still young enough
to be comparable.

In example, 70 (or so) years ago radios were built as 'all in one',
like computers these days. Today, you still have the 'all in one'
solution (cheap transistors), but you also have high end engines
with tuners etc separated from ... till speakers which allows a
much better planning for both, users and industries.

Similar: Currently you let software (or the installation
program) decide which 'type of computer' you will run in the
end, a 'game computer' (i.e. win98), a server (i.e. freebsd), etc.
(but you still have 'allround computers' with 'allround softwares').

Why not 'construct' computers that are specialized and optimized
for a certain area/ usage (i.e. the 'secretary computer' etc). Then
you might even offer 'cheap' to 'expensive' solutions within the
intended area of use. Then-2, your 'only' problem could be
'reduced' to agree on general and international valid i/o standards
(i.e. for interfaces, modules etc).

In my mind, future computers (and softwares) should be based
rather on modules, maybe even specialized modules,  than on
'all in one' products.

Sorry for my poor English.

----