From: "Robert I. Eachus" <rieachus@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: DII COE bars Ada -> Java compilation
Date: 2000/04/07
Date: 2000-04-07T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

"Marc A. Criley" wrote:

> Given the resounding repudiation of the this prohibition against Ada (or
> other language) to Java compilers, I'd like to try to get it removed.
>
> Though I'm not working on a DII COE compliant program, I'm going to try
> to look at and work the process to get it removed.  If anyone
> (particularly among those responding) has any technical material, white
> papers, etc., with which to buttress this effort, I would be happy to
> incorporate those into this drive.
>
> Alternatively, if someone feels they're in a better position to attack
> this issue now that it's been identified, I'll defer to and support
> them.

    A few months ago, I would have been a good choice to carry the ball
on this.  However,
I have been out sick for several months, and may end up on long-term
disability.  I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia last fall, and it is not
clear whether I got knocked out by a case of the flu, or just by trying
to keep working full time.  In any case, I've been juggling medications
to come up with a mix that minimizes the pian while allowing me to
function mentally.  I'm making progress, and may soon catch up to
comp.lang.ada--from home.

    In any case, I will talk to the Air Force Program Office on this,
and I don't expect much argument from the Air Force.  (Although there
are good reasons for limiting the HLLs that can be used to generate
JBC.  No reason to allow a vendor to develop a private language and
compiler as a back door way of maintaing ownership.)  DISA is a
different story, and in any case moves much more slowly.