* Re: translate OpenVMS logical to a string in Ada..?
@ 2000-03-30  0:00 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2000-03-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <8buano$r3i$1@ra.nrl.navy.mil>, dandenault@tip.nrl.navy.mil (pat) writes:

> Does anyone know how to translate an OpenVMS logical to a string for use in a
> DEC 83 Ada program?  I can't find anything in our few manuals.

The is done using the same system service you would use from
any other language, TRNLNM.  From Ada, that would be:

	STARLET.TRNLNM ( etc...

language-independent parameter descriptions are available
via HELP SYSTEM_SERVICES $TRNLNM at the DCL prompt.

If you cannot find the hardcopy System Service Reference
Manual at your site, online documentation has been
supplied with VMS for the past 10 years.

Of course if you are using the logical name to access
files, explicit translation is often not required, as
RMS file specification processing will do it automatically.

* translate OpenVMS logical to a string in Ada..?
@ 2000-03-30  0:00 pat
From: pat @ 2000-03-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone know how to translate an OpenVMS logical to a string for use in a
DEC 83 Ada program?  I can't find anything in our few manuals.

Thanks-
Pat

* Re: translate OpenVMS logical to a string in Ada..?
@ 2000-03-31  0:00 ` Mats Weber
From: Mats Weber @ 2000-03-31  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

pat wrote:

> Does anyone know how to translate an OpenVMS logical to a string for use in a
> DEC 83 Ada program?  I can't find anything in our few manuals.

I wrote some code doing that a long time ago. You can find it in my
components library at http://lglwww.epfl.ch/Team/MW/mw_components.html