From: "Samuel T. Harris" <samuel_t_harris@Raytheon.com>
Subject: Re: ASIS question
Date: 2000/03/28
Date: 2000-03-28T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Andy Askey wrote:

> Is anyone in here an ASIS wiz?  You know, the kind who just
> can't get enough opportunities to show off that wizardry??
>
> I've been playing with ASIS 2.0 for a couple days and have figured out
> how to loop over elements and unwind subtypes/derived type back into
> their base types.  I've also figured out how to loop through all the
> components of a record structure.   Now, I'd like to combine the two
> and determine the base types of the components in a record structure
> -- but this is where it appears to take a wizard to bridge the gap.
>
> Anyone have any helpful hints... or simple source code examples they
> would care to share?  I've read the examples from SIGADA, but these do
> not show anything other than the most elementary uses.   I will
> appreciate any help that anyone offers.

My experience is limited to ASIS for Ada 83 but I hope this
helps anyway. Once you have an element of kind a_component_declaration
this can be used just like an_object_declaration. I assume you
already have each a_component_declaration from the record
since you say your are looping through all the components
of a record.

Also sssuming you already have a routine which takes
an_object_declaration
and produces the base type, you can reuse this same routine on each
a_component_declaration you produce from decomposing the record.

No wizardry involved :)

--
Samuel T. Harris, Principal Engineer
Raytheon, Aerospace Engineering Services