From: "Marin D. Condic" <mcondic-nospam@quadruscorp.com>
Subject: Re: PL/SQL -> Ada
Date: 2000/03/26
Date: 2000-03-26T14:21:46+00:00	[thread overview]

Foo Bar wrote:
> Given the oodles of PL/SQL programmers out there who are already
> familiar with many of the basic concepts of Ada (count me as one of
> them), why no documentation or tutorials or roadmaps aimed at helping
> the PL/SQL programmer "graduate" to Ada? Heck, it'd be nice to see a
> paper or two on taking your PL/SQL programs and running them outside of
> Oracle via Ada, perhaps working against another brand of database (DB2,
> Sybase etc.). And seeing that the Postgres folks have their own
> PL/Postgres which is obviously a sort-of clone of PL/SQL and gaining in
> popularity, the base is expanding further.

At one time in the not too distant past, I spent a great deal of time
programming in Ada, connecting to SQL for access to the Rdb database.
DEC had an SQL pre-processor for Ada that made this pretty painless. (As
you know, this is now owned by Oracle and is being migrated - if not
already - to match the Oracle product.) Ada always mixed well with SQL
IMHO mostly because it has such rich data representation capabilities.
Naturally, I like the programming structures of Ada and accessing a
database from it is an added bonus.

I suppose that the reason such tutorials/papers are not available is
because it takes someone with A) experience in both languages, b) time
and skills to write such material, c) a desire to advocate Ada to "the
masses" and d) contacts within the PL/SQL community to spread the word.
Kind of makes it hard to find someone to sign up for the job, eh? :-)

I would imagine that if you were to write a sort of
"Pascal-Subset-Intro-To-Ada-For-PL/SQL-Programmers" paper, we could find
an appropriate website to put it on. Adapower comes to mind for that
task. Then you'd need to talk it up to the PL/SQL newsgroups. I'm also
sure that you could find help here in the way of answering specific
questions, ("I can do this in PL/SQL - How does it work in Ada?") and
probably find a few distinguished reviewers who would look it over and
make suggestions. If you think it is important, maybe you are the best
qualified to do the job.

MDC
Marin David Condic   - Quadrus Corporation -   1.800.555.3393
1015-116 Atlantic Boulevard, Atlantic Beach, FL 32233
http://www.quadruscorp.com/
m c o n d i c @ q u a d r u s c o r p . c o m

***PLEASE REMOVE THE "-NOSPAM" PART OF MY RETURN ADDRESS***

Visit my web site at:  http://www.mcondic.com/

"Because that's where they keep the money."
    --  Willie Sutton when asked why he robbed banks.