From: Rush Kester <Rush.Kester@jhuapl.edu>
To: haughton1228@my-deja.com
Subject: Re: linking Ada and Visual C++
Date: 2000/03/24
Date: 2000-03-24T19:40:49+00:00	[thread overview]

haughton1228@my-deja.com wrote:

> Any insight that anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.
>
> First some background.  We currently have an application implemented on
> a DEC Alpha Unix platform, developed utilizing Rational Apex as our Ada
> IDE and UIMX as our C-based X-Windows GUI generator.  We currently have
> thin bindings between the Ada main programs and the C GUIs. We rename
> the C main to c_main and call it at instantiation of the Ada executable
> to bring up the initial display. Logic to support the displays is
> written either in C or Ada, with the necessary externs and
> imports/exports to make this all work.

There was a vendor at the SIGAda 98 conference who had an Ada GUI product
layered on top of UIMX.  If you're interested, I'll try to locate a
name/contact for you.  You might also want to look into the GtkAda
implementation.  This is a portable and multi-language GUI.  I've used
Aonix's GUI builder on MS Windows and it easy to use and ObjectAda on Wintel
platforms is well integrated with MS Visual C/C++.

--

Rush Kester
Software Systems Engineer