From: Jeff Carter <jrcarter@acm.org>
Subject: Re: Boeing's LIDS program--Any Info??
Date: 2000/03/22
Date: 2000-03-22T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

"Robert B. Love" wrote:

> Reading a back issue of Space News (Feb 28 2000) there is an article
> with the headline "Boeing Delay Could Postpone NMD Deployment
> Decision".  It goes on to say that a software program called Lead
> Systems Integrator Distributed Systems (LIDS) is very late and it
> is to perform the simulations that would be the basis for some
> deployment decisions.

It's called LSI, and is completely a integration contract.

> I'm curious about the LIDS software.  Written in Ada?  Other
> language?  Size estimates?  Real time i/f with hardware?  Is the
> software itself distributed?  Is this using HLA?  Number of engineers
> and which Boeing center is working it?

The software is largely in Ada, mostly Ada 83 being transitioned to Ada
95. The part I'm familiar with is distributed real-time simulation SW.
It doesn't use HLA, but will become HLA-compatible at some point. The
work is being done in Huntsville, Alabama.

> PS-I'm not looking for a debate on missile defense.   There are
> plenty of groups for that.  I'm just wondering about the size of
> this software project and has software ever effected _national_
> policy before?

"effected"--do you mean "affected"?

--
Jeff Carter