From: Charles Hixson <charleshixsn@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Do you do ASIS?
Date: 2000/03/08
Date: 2000-03-08T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

OK.  Here's my wish-list (apologies if I misunderstand glade).
In most of these I will be thinking of Win95 systems, since that is
what most of the applications that I build will probably end up on.
(Win3.1 support would be nice, but lets be reasonable :-)
1)  It should be able to be used in the generation of stand-alone
programs that do not require a separate library to have been
previously installed in the computer.  (My main quarrel with gtk is
that it requires that gtk have been previously installed ... and
sometimes I don't have the luxury to specify that.)
2) It should have a small footprint.  (Partial contradiction of 1,
sorry about that.  Both hold.)
3) It should be reducible to a text screen if necessary.  (The
comment earlier about:  If worst comes to worst, just declare an
80x23 array of characters ... [etc.])
4) It should be "embeddable" into fancier forms for use when they
are available.  (An example of this would be something that would
take one parameter that matches the built GUI and another that
matches some add-on (say, a sprite that dances around the cursor, or
drop-shadows around every menu box, or...) and result in
"something"  (code?, object referenced?) that can be used to draw
the fancier form.  (It would be nice if the file format was
accommodating enough that these could be stacked with several layers
of upgraded being sandwiched together.)
5)  It should be a layered protocol, with many optional annexes, so
that no more than is needed has to be included with the compiled
program.

Of course the simple parts of this can be handled by the Ansi.sys
package with the ?Feldman? screen drawing extensions.  And the fancy
parts can be handled by Glade.  But from my position of ignorance it
doesn't appear that there is any smooth transition between the two
positions.  (Does Win2K come with GTK installed?  If so, then as the
decade passes most of this will become increasingly less relevant.
But since there are still Win3.1 machines, it may be awhile before I
can count on GTK being pre-installed.)