* Ada95 compiler written in python?
@ 2000-03-04  0:00 Daren Scot Wilson
From: Daren Scot Wilson @ 2000-03-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

curious to know if there are any Ada-95 compilers written in a
platform-independent language - other than Ada-95 - such as Python?

--
Daren Scot Wilson
darenw@pipeline.ocm

* Re: Ada95 compiler written in python?
@ 2000-03-06  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-03-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <slrn8c7pie.kji.gisle@apal.ii.uib.no>,
  gisle@apal.ii.uib.no (Gisle S�lensminde) wrote:
> The Ada95 compilers I know the implementation language for is
> written in Ada (some with C backend). Some of the old Ada83
> compilers was written in C, I think. Since a full Ada95 system
> certainly not is a 'hack in sparetime' project, I'm quite sure
> such a compiler don't exist.

GNAT has a front end written in Ada 95, and a backend written
in traditional C.

Ada Magic (the Intermetrics front end) is written in ANSI C.
Backends for the compilers using this front end are written
in either C or Ada.

I believe Rational Ada is written in Ada 83, though probably
quite a bit of Ada 95 is there now (can someone from Rational
give details).

To complete this picture, we need information for the other
existing Ada 95 compilers (DDCI, Irvine, OCS, ....)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: Ada95 compiler written in python?
@ 2000-03-06  0:00 ` Gisle S�lensminde
From: Gisle S�lensminde @ 2000-03-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <89pkk1$100$1@nntp5.atl.mindspring.net>, Daren Scot Wilson wrote:
>curious to know if there are any Ada-95 compilers written in a
>platform-independent language - other than Ada-95 - such as Python?

The Ada95 compilers I know the implementation language for is
written in Ada (some with C backend). Some of the old Ada83
compilers was written in C, I think. Since a full Ada95 system
certainly not is a 'hack in sparetime' project, I'm quite sure
such a compiler don't exist.

--
Gisle S�lensminde ( gisle@ii.uib.no )

ln -s /dev/null ~/.netscape/cookies

* Re: Ada95 compiler written in python?
@ 2000-03-07  0:00     ` David Tannen
From: David Tannen @ 2000-03-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>To complete this picture, we need information for the other
>existing Ada 95 compilers (DDCI, Irvine, OCS, ....)

As I use to work at DDCI, I can tell you that the DDCI compiler
suite is written in Ada83.  Also the Tartan Ada compiler is also
written in Ada83 with some C.

An ambassador for Christ
David Tannen (tannen@jcdisciples.org)
John 14:21 "Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who
            loves me.  He who loves me will be loved by my Father,
            and I too will love him and show myself to him."
Check Out:   http://www.jcdisciples.org/davidtannen/index.html

* Re: Ada95 compiler written in python?
@ 2000-03-07  0:00     ` Tucker Taft
From: Tucker Taft @ 2000-03-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar wrote:
> Ada Magic (the Intermetrics front end) is written in ANSI C.
> Backends for the compilers using this front end are written
> in either C or Ada.

Actually, part of the AdaMagic front end is written in Ada 95, and
at least one of the AdaMagic backends is written in Pascal, and depending
on your definition, one of the "backends" is in microcode (the JEM
Java chip).

I suppose I ought to also mention that we are now called AverStar rather
than Intermetrics...

-Tucker Taft   stt@averstar.com   http://www.averstar.com/~stt/
Technical Director, Distributed IT Solutions  (www.averstar.com/tools)
AverStar (formerly Intermetrics, Inc.)   Burlington, MA  USA