From: Tucker Taft <stt@averstar.com>
Subject: Re: Elaboration checks
Date: 2000/02/14
Date: 2000-02-14T19:51:29+00:00	[thread overview]

Martin Dowie wrote:

> about 15% of our executable appear to be made up of elaboration checks
> (this is the size difference after inserting configuration pragma
> suppress (elaboration_check)).

You should definitely talk with Rational about this.
If you are placing the suppress pragmas properly, then there
should be no overhead for elaboration checking.
Because the suppress pragmas have relatively "loose" semantics,
some compilers handle them better in certain contexts than in others.
I suspect the engineers at Rational know where to put the
pragma to make sure that all elaboration checks are removed...

For example, it may be essential that the suppress pragma is on
the spec rather than the body, or perhaps on both.  Rational should know.

--
-Tucker Taft   stt@averstar.com   http://www.averstar.com/~stt/
Technical Director, Distributed IT Solutions  (www.averstar.com/tools)