From: Gautier <gautier.demontmollin@maths.unine.ch>
Subject: Re: Bit operators
Date: 2000/02/13
Date: 2000-02-13T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert Dewar wrote:

> All the answers you got were inappropriate (a not uncommon
> occurrence around here :-) :-)

Thank you! We are looking forward for the Words of Wisdom!

> You approached the problem with a "how-do-I-write-C-in-Ada"
> viewpoint, and three people answered you to tell you how :-)

Sorry, I only have a Basic, Pascal & Fortran background. Difficult
to tell how to write C (or Cobol or...) in these conditions.
You lend me (or us three) such criminal intentions ?!

> But the proper answer is to use the features of Ada that allow
> this to be done nicely without such nasty low level gizmos.

What indicates you that Mr Grant doesn't know enumarated types
and nice records and doesn't want to use them ? If he thought to
try it in Ada, it was surely to make use of Ada's "+"es...

It just seems to me that he has encountered the simple problem
of performing the "AND" instruction that surely exists among the
MIPS assembly instructions. That's all! How can you do easily
without modular types ? Arrays of boolean is an alternative,
perhaps cleaner. Anyway I guess that the goal of his project is
not getting compile time errors!

> There is no point in writing C in Ada, if you want to write
> C, write C in C, it is less trouble :-)

You dismiss the people who write elegant, portable C - maybe the
huge amount of 0.05 % of the C sources that are on the Web!

--
Gautier

http://members.xoom.com/gdemont/