From: John English <je@bton.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Binding Win32 resources into GNAT executables?
Date: 2000/02/11
Date: 2000-02-11T12:01:42+00:00	[thread overview]

Ted Dennison wrote:
> In article <38A296A4.B9AE7D1D@bton.ac.uk>,
>   John English <je@bton.ac.uk> wrote:
> > I've been playing with Win32 bindings under GNAT but have run into
> > a problem with dialogs, which are defined in a resource file.  The
> > resource file has been compiled from a .rc file to a .res file, but
> > I'm at a loss as to how to link this into my executable. Gnatlink
> > doesn't recognise the format of the .res file (which surpises me
> > very little), and I presume I'm just being extremely dense.
>
> If you installed everything in the default locations, there's a
> section in the super-secret documentation (the GNAT for Windows NT:
> User's Guide) that describes all this at
> file:///C|/GNAT/Documentation/gnat_ug.html#SEC185 . If you need to find
> this document again, it should be hidden in your start menu under the
> program group "Gnat Ada95 Compiler. But don't tell anyone I told you.
> ;-)

Ho ho, very funny, Ted. Your advice would be welcome if I'd got 3.12
installed, but the 3.11 guide only goes up to #SEC162 (the index),
so I'm afraid it doesn't help one bit. I may be dense, but I do
try to RTFM before I ask my stupid questions, honest...

However, Vladimir's response about using the RCL that comes with
3.12 was much more helpful (and he actually mentioned the fact that
I would need 3.12 to follow his advice), so I might upgrade soon.
Meanwhile, I've grabbed WINDRES as per David Botton's advice,
which was also extremely helpful and solved my problem straight
away without my having to reinstall GNAT on a whole bunch of
machines.

So, thanks Vladimir, thanks David.

 Senior Lecturer           | http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je
 Dept. of Computing        | ** NON-PROFIT CD FOR CS STUDENTS **
 University of Brighton    |    -- see http://burks.bton.ac.uk