From: alby.gamper@gmail.com
Subject: Re: No symbol table loaded - GNAT Community 2019
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2019 04:26:52 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2019-06-04T04:26:52-07:00	[thread overview]

On Monday, June 3, 2019 at 12:38:29 PM UTC+10, Ricardo Brandão wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm starting in Ada. The first thing I did was install GNAT Community 2019 on my computer with Windows 10:
>
> See below a copy of about box:
>
> GPS 19.1 (20190106) hosted on x86_64-pc-mingw32
> GNAT Community 2019 (20190517-83)
>
> the GNAT Programming Studio
>
> (c) 2001-2019 AdaCore
>
> So, I was following the tutorial of Ada Core site, and at Debug section [1] I didn't get see the debug working.
>
> The steps (following the tutorial):
> 1. Clicked on Build & Debug sdc.adb toolbar button.
> 2. On the call stack window, clicked on the menu (three lines on the top right corner) and mark Show Frame Number.
> 3. Clicked on the Debug continue button and type input.txt in the text input field.
> 4. Here I found the first thing different: the tutorial ask to check ‘Stop at beginning of main subprogram’ and uncheck ‘Use exec dir instead of current dir’. Only ‘Use exec dir instead of current dir’ could be found.
> 5. But I clicked Ok to continue.
>
> And the problem: when clicked ok, I got the message:
>
> file D:/GNAT/2019/share/examples/gps/tutorial/obj/sdc.exe
> (gdb) catch exception
> (gdb) start input.txt
> (gdb) No symbol table loaded.  Use the "file" command.
>

> Looking the output on Messages tab, I could see the gprbuild output:
>
> gprbuild -d -PD:\GNAT\2019\share\examples\gps\tutorial\sdc.gpr -XBuild=DEBUG
>
> Is there any problem with GNAT installation?
>
> Thanks
>
> [1] http://docs.adacore.com/live/wave/gps/html/gps_tutorial/debug.html
>
> --
> Ricardo Brandão

Hi Ricardo

GPS for new comer's can/may be a struggle depending on what other IDE you are
familiar with, as they all tend to be different to a lesser or larger degree
depending on their pedigree, be it Emacs, Eclipse, Visual Code, JetBrains IDE's
or Visual Studio.

Their are a few add-in's to the above IDE's that may suit you better, depending
on your IDE of choice, these being

1) Emacs - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.lang.ada/FaYk4LzQG7E
2) Eclipse - I believe Adacore had/have a plugin ?
3) Visual Code - Their are few plugins for Ada available, which includes a LSP
(ie intellisense capabilities)
3) JetBrains - ?
4) Visual Studio 2017/2019 - Their is a plugin called "VisualAda" available at
https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=AlexGamper.VisualAda

If you advise us on what your preference is (WRT IDE of choice) then we can
better advise you, as their are a few choices available to you, be it GPS or
any of the above.

Alex