* Seek advice - "Ada for Smart People"
@ 2000-01-29  0:00 BSCrawford
From: BSCrawford @ 2000-01-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Teamers,

The need for a small book called "Ada for Dummies" was discussed
here a while back, and someone suggested it should be called
"Ada for Smart People" instead.

Well, I have drafted a small volume called "Ada Essentials:
Overview, Examples and Glossary" and now I am hoping to find a
publisher.  This is new territory for me, and I seek any advice
you teamers care to give, as to specific publishers I might
contact or how to go about this process in general.

By the way, I plan to make this volume available in several
different forms (some electronic) -- one of which is a
browser-based collection of web pages.  I would be happy to
send a copy of the current draft to, say, each of the first 20
teamers who request one from me directly via email (not through
this list).

Bard S. Crawford
bscrawford@aol.com

* Re: Seek advice - "Ada for Smart People"
@ 2000-01-30  0:00 ` Jeff Carter
From: Jeff Carter @ 2000-01-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

BSCrawford wrote:
> Well, I have drafted a small volume called "Ada Essentials:
> Overview, Examples and Glossary" and now I am hoping to find a
> publisher.  This is new territory for me, and I seek any advice
> you teamers care to give, as to specific publishers I might
> contact or how to go about this process in general.

Congratifications! You might consider Addison Wesley (not sure of
spelling) and O'Reilly.

--
Jeff Carter
"I unclog my nose towards you."

* Re: Seek advice - "Ada for Smart People"
@ 2000-01-30  0:00   ` Ehud Lamm
From: Ehud Lamm @ 2000-01-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'd be interested in hearing any ideas too, since my book "The Little
Abstractionist" seems to be of a similar kind, and I - too - know little
about getting things published by the major publishers.
So if any answers go by private mail, please cc me.

Thanks

Ehud Lamm mslamm@mscc.huji.ac.il
http://purl.oclc.org/NET/ehudlamm <== My home on the web
Check it out and subscribe to the E-List- for interesting essays and more!

* Re: Seek advice - "Ada for Smart People"
@ 2000-01-30  0:00   ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2000-01-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeff Carter <jrcarter010@earthlink.net> writes:

| Congratifications! You might consider Addison Wesley (not sure of
| spelling) and O'Reilly.

Or New Rider <URL: http://www.newriders.com>

They have also published books under the Open Content License.

See :

--
Preben Randhol -- [randhol@pvv.org] -- [http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/]
         "Det eneste trygge stedet i verden er inne i en fortelling."

* Re: Seek advice - "Ada for Smart People"
@ 2000-01-31  0:00   ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-01-31  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <38937FA6.D0F8D1F1@earthlink.net>,
  jrcarter@acm.org wrote:
> BSCrawford wrote:
> > Well, I have drafted a small volume called "Ada Essentials:
> > Overview, Examples and Glossary" and now I am hoping to find a
> > publisher.  This is new territory for me, and I seek any advice
> > you teamers care to give, as to specific publishers I might
> > contact or how to go about this process in general.
>
> Congratifications! You might consider Addison Wesley (not sure of
> spelling) and O'Reilly.

I have absolutely no experience on this subject. However, I think it
would be awesome to have an Ada "nutshell" book out there.

Also, if you do manage to get it published with a major technical
publisher, I'd suggest asking Grady Booch to do the foreward. He's an
Ada enthusiast who's well respected in non-Ada circles.

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: Seek advice - "Ada for Smart People"
@ 2000-01-31  0:00 ` John J Cupak Jr
From: John J Cupak Jr @ 2000-01-31  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bard, et. al.,

I can't speak for any publisher, but there WAS a nice Ada 83 "nutshell"
(although not by the O'Reilly folks) book entitled "Ada Programmer's
Handbook" by Dean W. Gonzalez, 1991, Benjamin/Cumming Publishing
Company, Inc. I picked it up at a book sale, and thought it was a
wonderful handbook. We certianly need such a book for Ada 95!

Please let me know how you make out!

John "Ada Forever" Cupak

BSCrawford wrote:

> Teamers,
>
> The need for a small book called "Ada for Dummies" was discussed
> here a while back, and someone suggested it should be called
> "Ada for Smart People" instead.
>
> Well, I have drafted a small volume called "Ada Essentials:
> Overview, Examples and Glossary" and now I am hoping to find a
> publisher.  This is new territory for me, and I seek any advice
> you teamers care to give, as to specific publishers I might
> contact or how to go about this process in general.
>
> By the way, I plan to make this volume available in several
> different forms (some electronic) -- one of which is a
> browser-based collection of web pages.  I would be happy to
> send a copy of the current draft to, say, each of the first 20
> teamers who request one from me directly via email (not through
> this list).
>
> Bard S. Crawford
> bscrawford@aol.com

[-- Attachment #2: Card for John J Cupak Jr --]

begin:vcard
n:Cupak Jr;John J
tel;fax:978.858.4336
tel;work:978.858.1222
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:Raytheon Company;Northeast Software Training
version:2.1
email;internet:John_J_Cupak@res.raytheon.com
title:Software Engineering Instructor
adr;quoted-printable:;;50 Apple Hill Road=0D=0AT3MN35;Tewksbury;MA;01876;USA
x-mozilla-cpt:;9904
fn:John J Cupak Jr
end:vcard

* Re: Seek advice - "Ada for Smart People"
@ 2000-01-31  0:00 ` Richard D Riehle
From: Richard D Riehle @ 2000-01-31  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <20000129150740.12476.00000187@nso-fg.aol.com>,
	bscrawford@aol.com (BSCrawford) wrote:

>Well, I have drafted a small volume called "Ada Essentials:
>Overview, Examples and Glossary" and now I am hoping to find a
>publisher.  This is new territory for me, and I seek any advice
>you teamers care to give, as to specific publishers I might
>contact or how to go about this process in general.

Bard and I seem to be moving in the same direction.  I have a
little booklet I use as a supplement in my Ada classes, including a
glossary, I call "Ada Distilled."   I wonder how many others are
developing this kind of thing.

Bard's work is a bit more comprehensive than mine, I think. "Ada
Distilled" is targeted at programmers.  It is mostly a collection
of example programs with line-by-line comments, not a complete
coverage of the language.

There is a need for more of these little booklets to aid people in
their study of Ada.  I am considering making "Ada Distilled" available
on David Botton's site when I feel it is stable enough.

Richard Riehle
richard@adaworks.com