* Calling Ada from Java?
@ 2000-01-26  0:00 Ulf Eliasson
From: Ulf Eliasson @ 2000-01-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello
Is there anyone who can tell me how to make a call to an Ada function
from a Java main program? I have succeded in making just the call, but I
can't figure out how to pass parameters and to return values. I'm using
Win32, jdk1.1.8 and ObjectAda.

Please help me!

/Ulf, uel@celsiustech.se

* Re: Calling Ada from Java?
@ 2000-01-26  0:00 ` Christophe GOUIRAN
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Christophe GOUIRAN @ 2000-01-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

As far as I know, you can only call C/C++ code from Java.
So you must make a "bridge" between Java and Ada in C/C++(Using jni) that
call your Ada code.

Christophe Gouiran
http://www.multimania.com/cgouiran
CNRS ESA-6057 Laboratoire Parole et Langage
29, Av. Robert Schuman, 13621 Aix-en-Provence, France

* Re: Calling Ada from Java?
@ 2000-01-27  0:00 ` Geoff Bull
From: Geoff Bull @ 2000-01-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulf Eliasson

See http://www.acenet.com.au/~gbull for a jni binding for Ada called
Cafe1815.
You will have to hack the build process to make it work with
ObjectAda.

Ulf Eliasson wrote:

> Hello
> Is there anyone who can tell me how to make a call to an Ada function
> from a Java main program? I have succeded in making just the call, but I
> can't figure out how to pass parameters and to return values. I'm using
> Win32, jdk1.1.8 and ObjectAda.
>
> Please help me!
>
> /Ulf, uel@celsiustech.se

* Re: Calling Ada from Java?
@ 2000-01-28  0:00 ` Tucker Taft
From: Tucker Taft @ 2000-01-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ulf Eliasson wrote:

> Hello
> Is there anyone who can tell me how to make a call to an Ada function
> from a Java main program? I have succeded in making just the call, but I
> can't figure out how to pass parameters and to return values. I'm using
> Win32, jdk1.1.8 and ObjectAda.

You may find AdaJNI useful.  See:

    http://www.ainslie-software.com

--
-Tucker Taft   stt@averstar.com   http://www.averstar.com/~stt/
Technical Director, Distributed IT Solutions  (www.averstar.com/tools)

* Re: Calling Ada from Java?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2000-02-01  0:00 ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2000-02-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Another possibility:

If the Java code runs under MS JVM
1. You can create an Ada COM object and then run MS JActiveX on it to
generate Java class files that access the COM object.
2. Create an Ada COM object that supports IDispatch and then you don't need
JActiveX

Under other JVMs (and also MS JVM)
1. Create an Ada COM object and access it using Java2COM
(http://www.nevaobject.com/java/index.htm)

(BTW the new version of the COM framework for Ada (in testing now) allows
use of any Java class running under MS JVM to be used as a COM object and it
would also be possible to pass back COM interfaces from Ada to the Java
code)

David Botton