From: "Faez N. Kaiser" <fnk@ocsystems.com>
Subject: Re: Ada and Mainframes
Date: 2000/01/25
Date: 2000-01-25T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu wrote:

<snipped>

> Perhaps someone out there knows which front end is used by the OC compilers
> for Ada 95. If I had to make a wild guess, it would be AdaMagic, the
> Intermetrics-made front end that is used, among others, in the Aonix
> ObjectAda products. Anyone know for sure?

OC Systems Ada 95 compiler is "based" on the Telesoft front end. However,
this front end had to be largely re-written for our Ada 95 compiler.

> A historical fact about Ada 83 is that among the various hardware companies,
> only DEC did their own compiler. IBM, Sun, Control Data, and others
> all OEM-ed the compilers, or the front ends at least, from the "regular"
> Ada 83 compiler houses: Alsys, TeleSoft, and Verdix (which was absorbed by
> Rational) mostly.

> As far as I know, for Ada 95 there are 5 compiler families: GNAT,
> AdaMagic/ObjectAda, Rational, DDC-I, and RR. Unless I've missed
> something, all others use the front end (at least) from one of these.

I would add the OC Systems/Telesoft compiler to this list of compiler
families.

For those interested in the original thread, information on our LegacyAda
product for the System 370 and 390 mainframe computers is available at
http://www.ocsystems.com (follow the link for Products).

	Regards,
		Faez Kaiser